Thread: Confused regarding RAM

Confused regarding RAM

Hi friends, I am having Core2Duo processor with 1GB of RAM. I system is a bit slow, I think that it is due to less RAM as compared to the apps that I use. So I want to upgrade it to 2GB. I am not sure that which one I get. I am having 4 slots for RAM so I think that I should buy 4x512mb blocks. I am having DDR2 pc2-4300 (266mhz). But I am still confused for the RAM. Can you please suggest me that which one will be better for me? Thank you.

Re: Confused regarding RAM

I will not recommend you to get the more sticks of 512mb RAM. This is because if you buy that then you will utilize all the slots available on your motherboard. After that if you again wish to increase the RAM then you will not have available slot for new space and also more modules will make the processing slower. So bring one stick of the 1 GB RAM and it should be of same type.

I want to know that if there is any method or any process that can be used to measure the ram speed. If there is any software that can do it then please tell me that. Or if that is not available tell me that where can I get the speed of my RAM on which it is working. I want to know this because I want to confirm that if I need to add need extra RAM in my system.

If your computer is running Winodws XP then you have to follow the steps below:
    1. First of all click on start button and from the right panel select run...
    2. There you have to type dxdiag and press enter.
    3. It will show you a Window that contains computer's hardware and ram.

If your computer is running Winodws Vista then you have to follow the steps below:
    1. Click on start button and click on all programs.
    2. Now click Accesories and click run.
    3. Do the similar process and type dxdiag.

You can write a program or else build an exterior tool to push the restrictions of the RAM module. A ordinary check is to load arbitrary data to all byte inside the memory and read that memory again to confirm that it is equal. Performing this test at increasingly quicker rates can discover the greatest speed at which it can execute. As dependability is a thing, the arbitrary values make sure an even test all through the memory. If a particular bit is mistaken, it is probable that memory write / read process speed has resulted in a breakdown and the test can moreover be performed once more.

There is one more way by which you can see that how much RAM you are having. Just right click on my computer and select properties. This will open the property window for your computer. Now if you want to know the performance of the RAM then you have to right click on task bar and choose 'Task Manager'. After that, select 'Performance' tabpage.