Thread: Is my Intel Core i7 870 processor Toasted

Is my Intel Core i7 870 processor Toasted

I am fresher to overclocking and was annoying out the software applications which came with the ASUS motherboard. I contain the following assemble:

Intel i7 870 3.8 GHz
    Asus Motherboard
    10 GB Kingston RAM

I was playing with TurboV, testing the depiction times. My fault might have been to set the Vcore to 1.7V. First I attempted maxing the settings with TurboV, where 140 was the highest base clock I could attain and Vcore was put to 1.7V. CPU-Z just showed that 1.45V was reached and the core speed just reached 1200 MHz. I after that attempted going back to default settings and effort my way up. I place the Vcore to 1.25. I handled to get around 3300 MHz below full load, with base clock at 155. Microsoft Windows 7 got instable with superior settings. I remember considering that the multiplier in CPU-Z reached 25. While 23 is maximum for 870. After that I attempted to immobilize the Speed Step and Turbo Boost in BIOS, setting the base clock to 155 and Multiplier to 23 with VCORE 1.25. CPU-Z after that showed me a steady core speed at 3600 MHz I think it should be 3190, and I endeavored playing a CPU hogging game. After that the computer just died! The motherboard light is lite so the PSU is still functioning, appears that I toasted the processor. Or maybe a few part of the motherboard; it is a truly cheap one.

Re: Is my Intel Core i7 870 processor Toasted

The ECO cooling newer permitted the temperature to get upper than 85 C, and that was with Vcore 1.7. For the duration of the other settings I just reached 55C. Just tell me, Could these settings have toasted the CPU? I am slightly hesitant if possibly the motherboard let me situate the multiplier to 25, more than allowed for the 870. I think that these settings should not slay the CPU; I have observed print screens of people which running the 870 at 1.7VCORE and 4200 MHz. so I just feel that there is no effect on the CPU.

I think yes, 1.7v could have killed it. But temperatures were ok so…. Have you attempted rearranging the CMOS, to observe if it comes back? It could be just bad operational command settings. To the extent that your multiplier, I thought 23 is maximum for 870 with turbo. So now it’s up to you. But, must attempt this once if possible.

It appears quite dead later than resetting CMOS, jacking out the battery, eliminating memory and putting them back. Only get a few movement of the PSU fan while pressing the on button. Should I go and acquire the CPU tested? Could it even be the motherboard which is toasted, or the PSU? I think if it is the CPU is kind of a week flouting at that clocking, or I am erroneous?

I think it is not the clock speed it is the voltage. Your secure voltage is just up to or a little over 1.4v which based on the over clocker but you got it up to 1.7v. Most people suggest overclocking in BIOS just not through a program. In my judgment this could have been prohibited, there are abundance overclock guides which provide you much required information for securely overclocking a CPU. I hope it is something little and not the CPU because that a luxurious defeat IMO.