Thread: What is overclocking and turbo boosting

What is overclocking and turbo boosting

I have heard a lot about turbo boost and over clocking. I wanted to know more about both the terms. What does turbo boost have to do with the operating system and what does overclocking have to do. Do they both perform the same operation. I have heard about this words specially when there is some problem in the working of the system and the user is suggesting some solutions. So please do clear out my query as soon as possible.

re: What is overclocking and turbo boosting

I have not heard much about the overclocking. So i will be able to tell you something about the Turbo Boosting. Turbo boosting is the process that are found in the latest processors like Intel i3, i5, i7. These activity is carried by the processor when the user is overloaded with the task and the processor has to multiply the speed and have to complete the activity. The processor does the turbo boost only when the internal system temperature is not raised upto the un permissable levels. If the internal system's temperature is not raised then only it goes ahead with the turbo boosting.

re: What is overclocking and turbo boosting

Over clocking is the process of increasing the clock rate for the components of the system. Over Clocking is done to increase the clock rate. Usually it is practiced by the people who want to increase their system's performance. Those who overclock their components mainly focus on components like processor's, memory card, chipsets and RAM. While the method is simple some changes in the internal parts may result in the complication of the process. One such negativity about the overclocking is that some components are changed physically to improve the performance which may lead to increase in the heat level of the system.

Re: What is overclocking and turbo boosting

If you think about the turbo boosting then i would say that it is usually used in today's intel core i3,i5,i7 processors. They have a new method in which when there is a rise in the work load the frequency bumps by over clocking of the CPU say from 2.5 ghz to 2.8ghz there is an increase in the temperature. The frequency can go a bit higher above the permissible TDP level but the temperature will not increase and this will allow the processor to work more with high frequency allowing the temperature to remain constant. This are some of the new features developed by the intel processors.