Thread: How to remove thermal paste

How to remove thermal paste

I am using AMD 955 BE with stock cooler and I have got a Cooler master 212+ and I have applied old processor thermal. Now I wanted to attach the new cooler from the processor and for that I will have to remove the exiting layer of the thermal paste, but I don’t know how to remove the thermal paste from the processor, if anyone know how to remove it then please let me know and also suggest me a good thermal paste. Any suggestions will appreciate. Thanks in advance.

re: How to remove thermal paste

I have done a quick search regarding your query and I have found a cleaning thermal compound cleaning product called as Arcticlean, it emerges from the union of arctic silver and Nanotherm technology. You just have to do two steps to completely remove thermal paste using Arcticclean 1 is used to emulsify thermal greases, Arcticlean 1 removes acetone, toluene, fluorinated and organic solvents, mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol, chlorine and then use Arcticlean 2 for removing corrosion layer on the aluminum and copper that will give the more intimate contact for the heat sink and thermal interface and then you can apply new thermal paste. I recommend you to use Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal paste. I hope this information may help you to remove thermal paste.

Generally, thermal paste is becomes toughened if the fan system and heat system have been on a long time. This toughened acts as gap between your new surface heat spreader of your CPU and heatsink. When i wanted to remove it then usually I use razor blade and I carve it off or you can also use the alcohol for removing thermal paste and I think that it is a safest method that which i use. I think that you should use Akasa AK-450-5G silver based thermal paste, because of the silver content in this thermal paste its having high thermal conductivity.

For removing thermal paste you should use IPA and 99% IsoPropzl Alcohol. Use a lint free cloth for removing the thermal paste and I will recommend you to not use cotton for removing process. You can use Tuniq TX-2 grease for removing thermal paste and it not a conductive in case you apply too much. I hope this information may help you and if you are having other query then reply me.