Thread: How to test RAM with Memtest

How to test RAM with Memtest

I have been told to test my RAM (main memory) by using some application. Let me tell you that I am new to all this things. Now after searching on Internet, I came to know that Memtest is best for doing it. But I didn't found any simple solution for testing the memory (the solutions are too much complicated). Since, here I have observed that people explain in simple words, I thought to post a thread over here. Please tell me how to test RAM with Memtest? Any other information related to the topic would be grateful.

Re: How to test RAM with Memtest

Since most new computers via a floppy drive have more, we invite us to file with the name Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO download as Zip and unzip them on our hard drive.
    1. To ensure that the ISO file is correct, we use the checksum program MD5Summer. After the download, we extract the tool and run it with md5summer.exe.
    2. We select the folder in which the Memtest ISO is located, and click on Create sums.
    3. We marked memtest86 + 2.01.iso and click the Add button. This file appears in the test field and press OK, we start the test.
    4. Here If errors are found, this means that the resulting created CD work would not. In this case, it is advisable, as well as cookies, delete temporary Internet files (see also CCleaner-Workshop ), computer reboot the and select the file without further ongoing downloads or download programs in the background again.

I would like to tell you steps after installing the MD5Summer successfully :
    1. Now we start our writing program - in this case Nero in the 7.5 version - menu and select Recorder - Burn Image.
    2. In the window that we look for the file memtest86 +-2.01.iso and click Open.
    3. We make sure the burn speed set too high, and press the Burn button.
    4. More we do not have to do for our Memtest bootable CD, it would be ready for use.
    5. In the BIOS should now your CD / DVD-ROM drive boot drive registered his first as for the machine of our Memtest boot disk too.

Of course it is also possible to perform the memory test using a specially crafted USB sticks. The reliability of fault-finding with Memtest amounts to 90-95%, but only if we consider some important points.

Our computer has multiple memory modules, we need to test each individually compelling, as this error could be suppressed. It is also not useful to perform a memory test is running under Windows. The operating system and applications and drivers prove themselves memory, this would in turn influence the results. Why should such a test be carried out under DOS only, because only there the entire memory. We put our words a Memtest CD and restart the computer. Now we boot from a possibly existing expanding start menu from the CD or put our BIOS so that the CD / DVD-ROM is first in the boot order. Memtest starts its run automatically, we have to configure anything further. The program runs in a loop a reboot and thus termination of the tests done by pressing Esc.

Once our memory modules in the test about 4 hours has held without error, you can almost assume that he is fine. A 100% error verification of memory modules is only possible with professional and very expensive instruments, have the only manufacturers. In addition, Vista brings a program to test the RAM with Windows, the Memory Diagnostics Tool. To use it, we press F8 when you start the computer, so that the advanced startup options. We leave this screen with Esc Boot Manager to get to Windows. With the Tab key, we go to the Windows Memory Diagnostic and run with this return. A blue screen test, which has two records can be stored out, then Windows Vista will run automatically. The result of our memory tests, we get after logging in to the operating system running in the task bar.

It is also possible to test out Vista to launch out, we navigate to Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools to the memory diagnostic tool. Who wants to test its memory or must be, to use Memtest and such as we have described it. The Microsoft tools are rather rudimentary nature and not accomplish what we expect of them. Of course, even Memtest not replace professional instruments, but it can spend at least clear of any errors or problems and that is what helps for example in case of any memory complaint with the manufacturer or dealer is immense.