Thread: Ram upgrade for Dell 2900

Ram upgrade for Dell 2900

I am using the dell 2900 system for a long time and it is running absolutely very fine with Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition operating system for last two year but now i want to enhance the performance of the system so i decided to upgrade the RAM in my system. So i just wanted to know that which are the RAM's that are available in the Market for these system and what is the system requirements for that and is the Windows server 2003 R2 Standard Edition will be suitable or not. Sp please provide any recommendation on the given topic that will help a lot to resolve the problem.

Re: Ram upgrade for Dell 2900

As you have mentioned that you want a RAM for the Dell 2900 system but before that provides the exact system configuration that you are using. As the system configuration plays a major role in the RAM selection so you need to provide the complete system configuration to me to get the solution. This information will make my job easier to resolve the issue.

I am using the Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition which Includes 5 CALs and the Dual Core Xeon Processor 5130 4MB Cache. In addition to that there is a 1333MHz FSB and a 2.0 GHz processor and the PE 2900. I am working on a server project and will be able to access that very shortly so I just wanted to know that the 4 GB RAM will be a better option for not. So, please provide the solution as quick as you can any advice will be grateful to overcome the problem of the RAM.

AS you nave stared that you are using the Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition in the dell 2900 system so it will support a RAM of 4 GB for these system. So you can buy the RAM of 4 GB from the Kingston which is a very well know brand in the market of the RAM. The HyperX Genesis DDR2 Ram is the best as per your requirement and it will work very much faster in the Dell 2900. It is very much compactable with the dell 2900 and has a number of the advantages with it such as it presents faster speeds, lower latencies, superior data bandwidths and inferior power utilization than DDR. HyperX is obtainable in single and dual-channel memory kits. So, these will resolve your problem of the RAM for dell 2900.

The 5130 supports PAE, PAE is an Intel-provided memory address expansion that allows support of superior than 4 GB of physical memory for the majority 32-bit (IA-32) Intel Pentium Pro and afterward platforms. This article gives information to assist device driver developers execute Windows drivers that hold PAE but the 32 bit 2003 R2 standard edition cannot utilize PAE the exceed 4 GB of the Ram memory which is a disadvantage to the user. You need a copy of the 32 bit 2003 Enterprise edition which supports up to the 32 GB of the RAM so that you can use that in a more enhanced way to overcome the problem.

The House-Brand, Hynix and the Nanya are all the 4 GB RAM’s which are available in the market and will be very good for your system that you have mentioned. You cannot use the RAM of 4 GB as the Windows Server 2003 R2 standard edition supports only that if you want to use the extended RAM memory more than 4 GB then you can go up to 32 GB which is supported by the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition. So, it depends upon you to select the RAM Memory according to your requirements and if you want to use a 4 GB RAM then the brands specified above are the best that will cost you around $130 for a 4 GB of the stick.

There is some limitation on the RAM memory when you use the Windows Server 2003. The memory of the RAM varies from a different version of the Windows Server 2003 to a different version for example the RAM memory for the Windows Server 2003 including the service pack 2, Enterprise Edition is 64 GB which is very high and the memory supportable to the Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Enterprise Edition is 16 GB. The Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition supports 4 GB of the memory which is the case in your system but there is not a problem as 4 GB is good enough to be used on such server systems such as the dell 2900. So, you can use any of the 4 GB RAM on the dell 2900 system which will work fine with these RAM memory.