Thread: Serverboard S3420GP Wake On Lan Support

Serverboard S3420GP Wake On Lan Support

I have decided to setup Windows Home Server in our office and so I will be getting it. So in the configuration for my Windows Home Server, I have decided to go for Intel S3420GP motherboard. This is where I have a question and so I will not be mentioning any of my other components over here. What I require is it should have the feature of Wake On Lan. But I didn't find it anywhere on the technical specifications of this motherboard on Intel website. Does that mean it doesn't support this feature? If it is then why is it not mentioned anywhere on Intel site? If this isn't then which is the motherboard that supports this feature? I want this feature and it is my prime requirement.

Re: Serverboard S3420GP Wake On Lan Support

Intel S3420GP motherboard has the feature of wake on lan provided you have settings enabled. There are two onboard settings on the motherboard which you have take care of. Make sure you have onboard nic1 rom and/or onboard nic2 rom field enabled in your motherboard bios. You will find this entries in Setup utility settings tab.

Now a days almost every motherboard supports wake on lan feature. If you can't see this option mentioned on motherboard manufacturer website that doesn't mean that it is not present. And the main contribution of this feature is done your NIC card rather than your motherboard. After all it is the NIC card which will be send some packets to bring your computer to wake up.

Yes even I can't find this feature anywhere on Intel website but it should support wake on lan. I would also like to suggest you about the rest of the configuration for your Windows Home Server setup. I would prefer to go with Intel Xeon processor and this motherboard do support this cpu. Although the motherboard is compatible with most other cpu's but I think this is the best model for your server. It is designed for industry-leading performance and maximum energy efficiency. It is specifically made for servers and workstations that are ideally suited to a wide range of infrastructure. Also you should go with atleast 4 GB of ram and 1TB of hard drive space.