Thread: Intel DX58SO Throttling due to overheating

Intel DX58SO Throttling due to overheating

Guys, I know that CPU throttling means that CPU makes itself slow to prevent itself from overheating problem. According to the IDCC, the temperature of my computer is 185 deg.F and sometimes I found that it goes up to 209 deg.F and starts throttling. I want to ask you that if this is normal or there is some problem with my computer. Please help.

Overheating problem.

If the temperature of your computer goes beyond 100 c then it will start throttling and 109 is very high temperature. Have you overclocked your computer? I think that you have a heat problem that is overheating. If ;you are running your computer continuously then throttle may be degrading your chip and that may cause some serious problem and I think that you should use some cooling system for your computer to prevent that.

Install Fan again to reduce temperature

The problem you told is very serious and you need to solve this as early as possible before it create some more dangerous problem for you. This sounds like you should need to have better fan and if your existing fan is nice then you should install that properly again. In many of such cases of overheating, I found that installing the best fan solves the problem. You should also check for that.

Disable C1E and Speedstep (EIST).

You have to disable two features of the BIOS if you want to disable the automatic clock throttling which is very annoying. Throttling is also known as the downclocking which helps to reduce the temperature of your computer but it also makes the CPU slow.

Two features that you want to disable in BIOS are C1E and Speedstep (EIST). Once you disable these two features then it will not start the throttling automatic. But remember that throttling starts to protect your computer and you should disable that on your risk. I hope that this will help you.

Use RMClock at startup.

I am agreeing the above post and this will work for you. But in many cases I have seen that we cannot find setting for the C1E and Speedstep (EIST). If that is the problem in your case then don’t worry you can also do that. You can use the software called RMClock and that will help you change those features but remember that you should put the RMClock at startup. RM clock is a small application that is made for real-time CPU frequency, throttling and load level monitoring. I am also using this software and I found that it is very helpful to solve such problems.

Use watercooler to reduce heat.

In my case, this was the overclocking and overheating problem. I found that the stock fan which was there on my computer was revving up because one of the screws was loose and therefore the plate was not steady correctly. Clearly overheating causes CMOS battery failure. To fix that I bought a new water cooler and implemented that in my system and from that it is running fine nd cool. Now again I am trying to overclock it again.