Thread: Change from ACPI Uniprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor

Change from ACPI Uniprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor

I have a Dual core system. I want to change the ACPI Uni-processor to ACPI Multiprocessor. I do not want to upgrade this system as it is already old one. Now for a better performance of my system what I can do here is change the Uni-processor to Multiprocessor. I had checked in my Device Manager in which the cpu is listed under the Uni-processor category. I am looking for detailed steps to fix this out. I know this can be a bit dangerous for my system also but this can help me to use system for some applications. I had installed Windows XP before that which has made the changes and here I am just trying to bring the condition of my system back to old state. What are the other types of system support this.

Re: Change from ACPI Uniprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor

ACPI is a standard for energy management. There is a dual-processor PC or ACPI different modes do not exist for a uni-processor PC. I tis possible to change it. For that you have to enter the Device Manager and then update the driver of the processor. It is recommended that you choose the right kernel for this process. Here I am listing some types of system which supports this. There is a first Standard PC, a computer with ACPI Uni-processor PC ACPI, Multiprocessor PC ACPI, Uni-processor PC MPS, Multiprocessor PC MPS and Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor. You must first ensure that what type of system you have. Just dealing with the process in Device Manager will not give out a much help. There are some specifi hardware id you need to configure. I am mentioning here some of them which will help you to fix the issue. For this acpiapic_mp is use to inserts a row with Multiprocessor PC ACPI. In the same way the acpipic_up states that computer with ACPI, acpiapic_up states Uni-processor PC ACPI. In the same way mps_mp states Multiprocessor PC MPS. A e_isa_up defines Standard PC. Possible values HardwareID can be found in WINDOWS \ inf \ hal.inf. So if you can acres this file then you can look for the hardware ids and their configuration.

It is not possible that the hal.inf do not necessarily indicate the HardwareID is for the desired type of nucleus. If you specify acpiapic_up then the selection of nuclei will see all six types. after a reboot in Device Manager, the computer will have two entries in that. The first one in that relates to the core on which the computer works, the other traces of the previous kernel. Now you can determine which of them is active easily. You just need to right click on the active nucleus and choose remove. I do not recommend to delete an active nucleus. This can be later on use to change the kernel again and again. The other better way is to run a driver update for the inactive core. If you can gain the list of kernels then you will came to know what to do. Now if you have the specification of a inactive core then you can update the driver directly and if it is not ACPI then there is no need of updates. You just need to correct the registry settings for that. You have to provide a appropriate HardwareID for that. The location for that is somewhere HKLM \ SYSTEM \ CURRENTCONTROLSET \ ROOT \ PCI_HAL \ 0000. You have to create a proper registry entry so that the cores are configure properly and they work.

Yes you can run the inactive core of the cpu by providing the appropriate hardware id. In the standard pc the Microprocessor PC ACPI stays inactive and you can install another kernel to the run same. You just need to right click on the cpu and then choose update driver. Restart your system and then check back. If the new kernel is not supported then you will need begin everything from scratch to reconfigure your processor back again. You have to press F5 to choose the desired kernel or else the installation will freeze your system. Try rebooting but in some cases the system goes dead and does not start. So you must attempt this on your own risk. I had did the same on my computer which has a Intel D945PSN board. I was trying to install from scratch and change the care to Multiprocessor PC but the MPS failed and now nothing is working at all. This is a bit risky job. Simply right click on Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC and then choose driver. Choose update drivers. If you have the driver in your system then browse the same. Restart and then check back again. Now once you get the drivers then click on next and then click on do not search. There you have to select the drive which you want to install. Do not forget to uncheck the option of Show compatible hardware.

There is one more way of doing this option. It can be done by cloning Windows copy. This is an easy way of running a clone windows copy on your system. For that one thing you need is to edit the registry key. The location of the same is HKLM \ SYSTEM \ CURRENTCONTROLSET \ ROOT \ PCI_HAL \ 0000 \ HardwareID. Remember that if you need to update the kernel on ACPI, then you have to edit HardwareID or else on restart your system will crash. The reason behind this is that when you update the driver of your windows then it becomes necessary to correct the entries in the registry and system files. If there is only partly corrections done then your all system files fails to load and the system crashes. Its easy to create from the \ 0000 replacing the values DriverDesc > InfSection > MatchingDeviceId. Then here add the Multiprocessor PC ACPI under DriverDesc, ACPIAPIC_MP_HAL under InfSection and acpiapic_mp under MatchingDeviceId. Once done with this you will need to then create a registry value for that. Now settings for that is 1 under DeviceReported, leave the Section LogConf empty and create a partition. It can be fast enough to create by copying a similar branch HKLM \ SYSTEM \ CURRENTCONTROLSET \ ROOT \ PCI_HAL \ 0000 \ and replace the values.

To replace the ACPI driver in the process of installing Windows XP, is necessary at the initial stage of installation. This stages are when you are loading drivers and you can press F6 to select the driver, SCSI or RAID. For that press F5. After loading the drivers menu appears, where you can select the type of computer. If the driver is installed ACPI to newer equipment than what you need, then you can replace it through the Device Manager (Device Manager). For example so you can replace the driver Multiprocessor PC ACPI on computer with ACPI. It is also necessary to replace the driver of computer with ACPI on Multiprocessor PC ACPI or Uni-processor PC ACPI. For this you have to remove halmacpi.dll under the system 32 folder and ntkrpamp.exe under the same location. If you does not perform this prior booting then your system may fail. These files are also located on the disc with the distribution in the i386 \ SP2.cab. The task is not so easy where you can complete all the process just by preforming a driver update. This can make your system crash or even fail. You might not be able to use the same back again if you run a wrong kernel updates. I will recommend you to print a full step for this before performing a update for that.

Multi-core computers have become common today when you are running a servers or workstations. The same is no even found on laptops. It is natural for all of use to have this system as it help you to initiate multiple applications, which is typical for modern operating systems. Now here cloning can help you to do what you want. Cloning Windows, that is, installing the operating system and a set of necessary applications on a reference computer. Incompatibility of storage controllers is usually a consequence of Windows blue screen with the message INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. So for that first limit your systems with ATA / SATA drives. Incompatibility of HAL in the typical case leads to the interruption of load Windows without any messages - just a blank screen in the and a mouse cursor on the upper left corner. Basically Microsoft recommends to solve this issue out if you can have a have a separate image for each version of HAL. That can give you a greate help and also the working process of the same is saved to much extent.