Thread: How to edit MSI K9A Platinum bios

How to edit MSI K9A Platinum bios

After facing a lot of problems, I have decided to change my 5600B (2.9 GHz, 2 * 512KB L2) cpu, but surprisingly my MSI K9A Platinum includes a bug which is unknown model, dual channel non-functional, and no Cool'n'Quiet more. MSI mail response to this problem states "CPU not supported". So I'm looking for a way that allows me to edit my bios unofficially. Can someone help me please? I don't want to change my motherboard right now!

Re: How to edit MSI K9A Platinum bios

Post a bios in order to make a cpu compatible? Assuming it would be possible hardware point of view, I doubt whether the scope of a non-professional thing. A bios is one of the most complex in a PC, it directly operates the components of the motherboard, so it's very very close to the layer of hardware, everything is coded in assembler or almost.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS version download with you. The latest version for your model is 1.9.

I have the latest version of BIOS. The most surprising is that the 5400B and 5200B are supported but not the 5600B and I do not see why, especially since this CPU is nothing special, still see that "Unknown processor" and that bothers me mean the disappearance of the CnQ and dual channel!

I feel I'll be forced to change motherboard, but it delights me too. That's why I seek an extreme solution that would allow me to run my CPU correctly.

If your CPU goes to the right frequency, it is not essential that it be recognized by name and in the case of an organic alternative, there is always the possibility that he is not well finalized. the fact is that I have already used this kind of bios successfully, but it was a very specific hardware with a real community of "fans", which is rarely the case with a motherboard "standard".

A small good point after some research: Cool'n'Quiet is active just an oversight on my part activation, the fact that the cpu is not named is not very annoying indeed.

It remains the problem of dual channel: I must be content with 2 strips in single channel, being set otherwise prevents the boot: I said that I tested my strips one after the other -> I even submitted a old Sempron 3600 + with the four nickel strips and it works.

The only possibility is a change in the DDR2 controller CPU that does not pass on this motherboard: qualification, 2*1 GB Kingston PC8500 and 2 * 1 GB PC6400 Kingmax is what the problem might come from the difference in speed between both?

No, even if there is a difference between the 2, its not embarrassing because it will lock on the slower of the two. So you will have all the functionality of your RAM, if not frequency. The problem is that the motherboard is not compatible. In principle, the site builder is quite clear, it should have been checked before you purchase.