Thread: Ram not detected (Troubleshooting)

Ram not detected (Troubleshooting)

Hi all, I have problem with the detection of memory. My computer is not able to detect the entire memory, I have 12 GB of Ram but it is only showing me 8 GB. I inserted 8 GB RAM of my friend’s computer and it is able to detect the entire 8 GB. I am not able to get the reason behind this. Can anyone here tell me the reason behind this? Any suggestion from anyone about this issue will be appreciative.

Re: Ram not detected (Troubleshooting)

I have found that this is very common for Intel X58 based systems which affect every brand of motherboard. Contact between the CPU and the contact pins are very important if this do not have the proper contact then it may also not detect all the memory connected to it. Remove the pin and reinsert the pin properly again and see whether it detect or not. You should also remove the RAM clean it and again insert that into the slot. There may be moisture on the RAM and which is causing the issue.

There is also possibility that the socket pins are bent and which is causing the issue. In many of such cases I found this problem and many of the users solves this issue as they straighten the bent pins. If you found that it is damages very badly and you are not able to straight it then you may need a RMA on the board. But remember that if you have Asus motherboard then it will refuse the RMA if the issue for the bent pins.

As you told that when you connected another RAM of 8GB then it was able to detect that then I think it is the issue with your RAM stick. You should check your RAM in some other computer and see that whether it detects it or not or you can switch to other RAM slot. You can also run the memtest with any other memory kit if it is possible for you.

Hey I was also having the similar issue with my computer but it was a voltage supply problem. If you don’t have the sufficient voltage supply then it may create such issue. You should set the Dram bus voltage to 1.64v or to the voltage which your memory spec says and set the QPI/Dram voltage to max 1.35v. 1.35v is the maximum voltage supply to the computers which is running 12 Gigs or running with the speed 1600 MHz. If it is 6 Gigs then you should set it to 10.25v QPI/Dram voltage.

There may also be problem with the version of the Windows you are using. There are some builders who are uninformed of boundaries using 32 bit Windows. Windows 32 bit cannot recognize 8 GB of memory as they are only capable of recognizing and addressing under 4 GB of the memory in the system. You should install Windows again with 64 bit version and I hope this will detect the entire RAM.

It is possible that there is a short circuit in your motherboard. If there is short-circuit in the motherboard then it may cause the error in memory detection. You should check the coolers back plates; it may have shorted any of the part from back side of motherboard. This case is very rare but there is still possibility for this and you should confirm that.