Thread: Will AMD Bulldozer be a "leap forward"?

Will AMD Bulldozer be a "leap forward"?

I have heard a lot regarding the AMD Bulldozer, I wanted to have little chat on this topic so thought of having a discussion on it. I believe that instead of going on searching on the internet alone it is better to have a discussion on it and get more information from it. I have just heard that AMD wanted to compete with its counterpart Intel and hence decided to design a new architecture, and that new design is this AMD Bulldozer.

Re: Will AMD Bulldozer be a "leap forward"?

Yes you are correct in saying that AMD has launched a new architecture and the code name that was given to it was Bulldozer. The name stands for the next-generation CPU cores after the K10 architecture. According to AMD’s words CPUs that will have these Bulldozers will be based on the 32nm SOI process. In order to compete with Intel, they have assured that it will be capable of supporting most of the instruction sets.

I would also love to contribute here with some words of mine on this topic. Yes Bulldozer is the new code name for the new architecture that has been developed by AMD people. I have heard that in addition of supporting all the instruction sets till date the chip is going to be compatible with Opteron sockets C32 and G34. Also compatibility can be assumed with the Socket AM3 on the desktop. However at this very moment I have only this much to contribute and will return soon if I get some more valuable to post.

I have come up here with the list of things that the Bulldozer will be having and the things that it will not support. Bulldozer will be having 8-core client products. Opteron 4000 series and client products have 2 channels with DDR3 and Opteron 6000 series have 4 channels again with DDR3. The only type of memory that Bulldozer will support is DDR3 and there will be no support at all for the DDR2. Also Bulldozer will be able to give better virtualization performance.

I think much has been said about Bulldozer. Now I want to know something in respect to this Bulldozer. Will it be based completely on the core or virtual cores or there will b more threads that we have seen in the i7 series? On which architecture is it going to be based upon, is it going to be 45nm or 32nm architecture? In addition to all the above questions is there going to be any locked cores as well? Any suggestions. Help.

Just thought of discussing something related to the concept of the Bulldozer. It is basically a monolithic dual core building block that supports two threads of execution. It works by sharing the latency tolerant functionality. While working it will smoothen bursty usage. It also has some good news for the customers are that it has greater scalability. It has throughput advantages for multi threaded workloads.

I think much has been said about Bulldozer. Now I want to know something in respect to this Bulldozer. Will it be based completely on the core or virtual cores or there will b more threads that we have seen in the i7 series? On which architecture is it going to be based upon, is it going to be 45nm or 32nm architecture? In addition to all the above questions is there going to be any locked cores as well? Any suggestions. Help.
    I have directly an answer from the AMD’s desk for you. Let me tell you all what all they have said regarding all these questions. First of all regarding the architectures then it will be 32nm. Then regarding the thread, there will be 1 thread per core. The reason that they are saying this is because they want to have an equal thread to core ratio. They have mentioned that if multiples threads will be running on a single core then overall scalability will be reduced.

I think now you have got much more light on the term Bulldozers. If at all you are not satisfied with all the information that have been given here then I would suggest you to go for searching AMD Bulldozer on this forum and you will get much more related information. Or if you want you can click on the links below which I have selected for you: 1. AMD Bulldozer core is a good processor? 2. AMD Bulldozer features and specifications .

Thanks a lot lot to all the members of this forum. It was really nice discussing about AMD Bulldozer with you all. Also the solutions that you all gave was really informative and full of vital contents. SecRecy the links that you gave were really wonderful. I really enjoyed reading all the threads. They helped me a lot. I would be happy discussing about other topics if I will get some more to discuss about. Thanks once again.