Thread: Black screen "of doom"

Black screen "of doom"

So I'll see if I can be specific here.

I run a Windows XP, though I don't think that'll be needed.

As I turn on my computer, it runs with normal sound--no loud noise or beeping, it is normal. So I don't think it's the power supply. Could be possible.

Before all this, I was using my computer for fun playing time and sometimes, it freezes. I reset it by pressing the reboot button. It then does not load into the login screen, so I do a force shut down. When I turn it back on it goes back to normal.

But now, freezing problems occur more later on in days. I stopped using it for a while. When I came back to turn it on, nothing comes up on the monitor.

Normally, when I press the monitor turn on/off button, a green light is shown indicating the computer is active. However it is orange, indicating there is no signals being sent from the computer (turned off or a problem). I assume it is a problem.

The result, nothing appears on the monitor. An orange light is by the monitor button. Nothing is on the monitor at all.

I assume that it is damaged ram problem from all the forced reboot/turn offs, and I've asked my friends and they believe I should replace the power cable (the one near the PC's power switch, to connect into an outlet).

What do you, TechArena, believe?

Re: Black screen "of doom"

This can not be the problem of RAM according to me, however if you want you can even check this if that's the case by removing all of the RAM sticks from your motherboard and then trying to boot your computer. Ideally it should give you a continuous beep sound. If it doesn't then your RAM is perfectly OK.

Moreover, since you say that you can't hear any beeps during boot up; this certainly indicate motherboard problem.

Oh no, that's not what i mean by no beeping. Normally when you hear my computer start up it makes like a lawn mower-ish/car engine (something similar) sound. My computer at the moment is like that. If beeping occurs there then something would be wrong. I don't think it's a motherboard problem.

there is no help?

I think that it is an overheating problem, so check the temp of the computer while turning it on. You will need to apply thermal paste on the CPU or a heat sink. Also, in Bios Temp, check if the three main power rails for a modern PSU are +3.3V, +5V and +12V, if it is below what is described here, then you will need to buy a new power supply as well.

It is usually that when your system boots up you can hear a beep sound. This beep sound is the indication that all of your system hardware is detected. This beeps sound is sent by the CPU. So if the CPU is dead or not working then system will does not boot. You must also check that there is light on the motherboard which glows when you power on.