Thread: BIOS on a Sony Vaio Laptop

BIOS on a Sony Vaio Laptop

Hello there, I have a Sony Vaio laptop which has Windows 7 on it. The performance of the laptop while running any high end graphics application is very low and hence I want to improve the graphics performance of the laptop. I have heard that the video performance can be improved by accessing the BIOS setup of the computer but I dont exactly know how to do it. Therefore if anybody can suggest the changes for BIOS on a Sony Vaio Laptop for improving the video performance, then please share the information.

Re: BIOS on a Sony Vaio Laptop

To enhance the video performance of the laptop, you will have to change the amount of share video memory. To change the amount of shared video memory, you will have to access the BIOS of the laptop. Open the BIOS of the laptop and go to the video section. In the video section change the amount of the shared video memory and save the settings. The location of this tab is not fixed and depends on the manufacturer of the BIOS. Hope the post helps.

As suggested I entered the BIOS setup of the laptop and searched for the video options but there is no such option present in the BIOS of the laptop. There are only 4 tabs available which are Boot, Main, Security and Exit. Where should be the video option in the laptop? Is there something missing? Please help.

There should be many options apart from these four options in the BIOS of the laptop. I think the manufacturer must have locked some options of the BIOS to prevent any modification in the BIOS by the user. You will have to contact the service center of Sony and ask them to unlock the BIOS of the laptop. After the BIOS is unlocked, you can change the shared video memory of the laptop to enhance the video performance of the laptop.

I contacted the sony service center and asked them to unlock the BIOS but they said that it cannot be unlocked as changing the BIOS settings may render the system not working properly. So I want to know if there is any alternate way to unlock the BIOS on the laptop apart from the service center? Will unlocking the BIOS void the warranty?

Yes there are different tools available for unlocking the BIOS on the laptops. Find out the manufacturer of the BIOS of the system and then download the unlocking tool for the particular BIOS of the system. Run the tool on the computer to unlock the BIOS. After running the unlock tool, you will be able to access the hidden tabs of the BIOS which will help in changing the video settings of the laptop.

The BIOS on the laptop is a an Award BIOS. As suggested I downloaded the unlocking utility for the Award BIOS chipset and executed on the computer. Now all the options of the BIOS are available including the option for changing the shared memory of the laptop. I increased the shared memory option and now the performance of the system has really improved.

Therohan Guest

Did u try the sony india site or facebook page for help..?

Okay, When I first got my gaming laptop, a Sony VAIO VPCCW21MGX/B Notebook, and installed a PES 2010 game it the specification tab on the game setting said my dedicated VRAM was 240MB, okay that was OK for the game to run but after some little problems I had to reinstall my windows 7 software(the exact same OS and product key) and all the drivers for my laptop, so everything was back and running, then I installed PES 2010 and now its saying my dedicated VRAM is 226MB, ?

Anyone have advice on how to change it back thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chinanu1 View Post
    Okay, When I first got my gaming laptop, a Sony VAIO VPCCW21MGX/B Notebook, and installed a PES 2010 game it the specification tab on the game setting said my dedicated VRAM was 240MB, okay that was OK for the game to run but after some little problems I had to reinstall my windows 7 software(the exact same OS and product key) and all the drivers for my laptop, so everything was back and running, then I installed PES 2010 and now its saying my dedicated VRAM is 226MB, ?

Anyone have advice on how to change it back thanks.
    If I am guessing correctly then you can change the amount of shared v-ram in the bios, but you have to check to see if your bios version supports this. Have you installed any intensive graphic software's lately? Usually you have to adjust different settings that are being used by the Windows and graphics card and control panel settings.

@Caydien

Quote Originally Posted by Caydien View Post
    The BIOS on the laptop is a an Award BIOS. As suggested I downloaded the unlocking utility for the Award BIOS chipset and executed on the computer. Now all the options of the BIOS are available including the option for changing the shared memory of the laptop. I increased the shared memory option and now the performance of the system has really improved.
    hi,

can you please give me the link do download this utility so i can also change my share memory of my vaio

thanx

The share memory is an inbuilt feature of a motherboard and cannot be changed at all whatever may be your motherboard is. So there is no point in installing any utility to fix it.