Thread: Asus Commando CMOS ERROR

Asus Commando CMOS ERROR

Hello there, I am facing a weird problem with the Asus motherboard which I am using. I have an Asus Commando motherboard installed on the computer which was working fine for all these days but from past few days the motherboard is not allowing me to enter the BIOS of the computer. When I try to enter the BIOS setup, it gives an BSOD saying "CMOS ERR". I cannot figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help in solving the problem. So if anybody knows how to solve the Asus Commando CMOS ERROR then please share some information which might help me in solving the problem. Thanks in advance.

Re: Asus Commando CMOS ERROR

There is a battery on the motherboard which is responsible for saving all the information which is required for the system to boot. Locate the battery on the motherboard and remove it. Check the voltage across the battery using a Digital multimeter. The voltage of the battery should be between 2.5 to 3 volts. If the voltage of the battery is less than 2.5 volts then you will have to replace the battery. Once the battery is replaced, you will not face the same error again.

Have you overclocked the processor or memory? If yes then it could be the reason why you are facing such errors while accessing BIOS of the motherboard. In overclocking high voltages are involved. If the voltage crosses the threshold level then the BIOS chip on the motherboard will get affected. If such a situation occurs then the system will not work properly. Hence I would suggest that you lower the voltages of the motherboard which are used for overclocking and then see if the problem is solved.

Check the power supply unit of the computer. Power supply unit of the computer is responsible for providing the required voltage levels to all the devices which are connected to the computer. Hence if the power supply unit itself if not working properly, then the motherboard will not get the required power supply and hence will not work properly. Therefore get the power supply unit checked and if the power supply unit is faulty, get it replaced. See if the problem still persists or not.

By looking at the problem, I suspect that the BIOS on the motherboard of the computer has got corrupt and needs to be replaced. Go to the official Asus website and search for the BIOS update for the model of the motherboard which you are using. Download the updated firmware and get the firmware on the motherboard updated. Once the BIOS on the motherboard is updated, see if the same error is faced while accessing the BIOS setup.

I suspect that the problem is with the system RAM of the computer. Sometimes if the system is not able to access the system RAM, it will give similar problems. Therefore I would suggest that you take out all the RAM chips from the motherboard and clean the connecting terminals of the RAM. Replace the RAM and see if the problem is solved or not.

Have you tried doing a CMOS reset? CMOS BIOS is responsible for saving all the information which is required for the system to boot. Therefore if some wrong settings get stored in the BIOS then the system will not boot. Hence to bring the computer back to working state, you will have to perform a CMOS reset. To perform CMOS reset, open the computer and remove the CMOS clear Jumper from the motherboard and start the computer. See if the system boots.