Thread: Memory configuration question

Memory configuration question

Hello people, I have a desktop computer whose configuration is as follows
    • Processor :- AMDphenom 2x4 955 BE
    • Motherboard :- M4A78T-E 790GX AM3 ATX
    • System memory :- 6gb 1600 corsair
    • Operating system :- Windows 7.

Initially the computer had 2 gb of RAM which I then increased to 6gb. So now I have 2 RAM chips in the colored slots and one in normal slot. Whenever I boot the computer, I get a message saying that the memory is working in unganged mode. What is unganged mode? and if I remove one of the RAM chip then will it work in dual channel mode? So if anybody knows answer to my Memory configuration question, feel free to share the information. Thanks in advance.

Re: Memory configuration question

Multicore processors have more than one processing core. The multiple cores of the processor require separate system memory allocated to it. If all the cores of the processor have separate system memory allocated then the mode of system memory is known as unganged mode. Unganged mode is preferable as it reduces the processing time for each core. If the memory is referred to as a single block of memory for all the cores of the processor, then the mode is known as ganged mode. Ganged mode is only preferred while running applications which require more system memory for execution.

Unganged mode in the system memory was developed with Dual core processors. A single core processor access the entire system memory while executing any application. As the no of cores in the dual core processors is more, it needs separate memory to run the multiple threaded application and hence unganged mode was developed. Unganged mode enables faster operations while running any application. To change the memory mode from Unganged to ganged mode, you will have to enter into BIOS setup and then change the memory mode from Unganged to Ganged. Once the memory mode is changed to gang mode, all the system memory is accessed all together.

The two colored slots on the motherboard of your computer are meant for Dual channel operation. If you want the system memory to work in Dual channel mode then place the RAM chips in the same colored slots. When the ram chips are put in the same colored slots then the system detects it in the Dual channel mode which will increase the performance of the computer. If the memory chips are placed in the different colored slots then it will be detected in the unganged mode. Therefore place all the RAM chips in the slots which have the same color.

There are many criteria's to be fulfilled by the memory to get detected in the Dual channel mode. Just placing the RAM chips in the same coloured slots does not mean that the RAM will be detected in Dual channel mode. For the RAM chips to be detected in Dual channel mode, the data rate and the operating frequency of the RAM chips should be same. If there is any mismatch in the data rate or operating frequency in the RAM, then it will not be detected in dual channel mode. I would therefore suggest you check all the parameters of all the RAM chips which are available and see if the RAM chips are detected in Dual channel mode.