Thread: CPU problems in acer aspire 9300

CPU problems in acer aspire 9300

I have an Acer Aspire 9300 which is powered by Intel M 780 processor which is running on 2.26ghz. The operating system on the laptop is Windows Xp. The problem which I am facing is the processor runs at 800Mhz only when the indicated speed is 2.26Ghz. Does this mean the processor is faulty? If anybody else is facing similar CPU problems in Acer Aspire 9300, then please suggest some solutions as in how to solve such problem. Thanks in advance.

Re: CPU problems in acer aspire 9300

As the laptop is new I would suggest you take the laptop to the authorized service center of Acer and get the laptop checked. All the Acer products are covered by 1 year company warranty under which any problem which is not caused by physical damage is repaired for free. Therefore get the laptop checked at the authorized service center and if there are any problems with the laptop, get it repaired. If the laptop is under warranty then no service charge will be levied on you. If the laptop is out of warranty then service charge along with the cost of the part replaced will be levied.

There is a setting in the laptop which enables the user to put a cap on the CPU clock. This is to ensure the power saving while using the laptop on battery mode. When the CPU is used on lower clock frequency, the battery usage of the laptop is low and hence it helps in power saving. Therefore I would suggest you to check the power saving settings of the laptop and then see if the CPU is working at optimum speed. Go to power settings of the laptop and then see if the power saving mode is enabled. If the power saving mode is enabled, disable it and then check if the CPU is working on 2.26ghz clock speed.

If lot of processes are running on the computer together the performance of the computer will suffer a lot. Every process which is executed on the computer requires some memory and CPU usage to be allocated. If lot of processes are running together on the computer, then lot of memory and CPU usage is allocated. Therefore if lot of processes are running at the same instance, the processor will take more time to process the application and hence the speed drops. Hence check all the processes which are running on the computer. Open the task manager and check all the processes which are running. Terminate all the processes which are unwanted and then check the clock speed of the computer.

I suspect that the issue is with improper power supply to the device. Whenever any device connected to the computer receives an improper supply voltage then the device will not work properly. I would suggest you to check the AC adapter of the laptop and see if it is giving the output voltage which is mentioned on it. If the adapter is faulty replace it. If the adapter is working properly then the problem is with the motherboard of the laptop as motherboard is responsible for providing correct voltage levels to all the devices which are connected. Changing the AC adapter or the motherboard will solve the problem.

I know this is an old thread but I thought this may help anyone with similar issue in the future.

If you disassemble the 9300 (and 9310, etc.) and remove the fan, you will find a (approx.) 2 in. x 2in. piece of thick, black, plastic-coated paper stuck to the inside of the laptop air intake grill !

I won't speculate as to why it is there but it wasn't put there by mistake........ it was cleanly glued into place at manufacture.

Remove this and your temperatures will drop by approx. 30 - 40% !

Hee's a photo of offending object:
    http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5448/dscf0001j.jpg

Hope this is helpfull to someone.