Thread: Are Crucial 4gb pc2-6400 ram chips reliable?

Are Crucial 4gb pc2-6400 ram chips reliable?

Hello there, I want to upgrade the system RAM on my computer. I was thinking about Crucial 4gb pc2-6400 memory sticks but according to my friend they are very unreliable. So I want to know if the Crucial 4gb pc2-6400 ram chips reliable or not.Therefore I cant decide on which memory sticks to buy and hence need help in selecting proper RAM sticks for my computer. Any help regarding the issue is more than welcome. As for the additional information I am using Windows XP 32 bit operating system on my computer. Please help.

Re: Are Crucial 4gb pc2-6400 ram chips reliable?

The operating system which you are using is 32 bit. There is limitation on the system memory which can be accessed by the 32 bit operating system. 32 bit operating system can only access upto 3gb of RAM. Hence upgrading the system RAM to 4gb will not be that useful in enhancing the system performance. Therefore try and upgrade the system memory upto 3gb as the system will not detect the additional 1gb which you are trying to add.

All the ram chips which are available are unreliable. Random access memory is also called as volatile memory because the data stored on it can only be retained for the time the memory is attached to the power supply. As soon as the power supply is removed the data on the memory is lost. Moreover the RAM chips can get fried if there is slight power fluctuation. The RAM chips can also get damaged due to static charge. Therefore all the RAM chips are unreliable.

My gaming rig also has Crucial RAM chips on it and the performance of the RAM chips is quite good. I dont own the BallistiX version of the RAM chips but the basic ram chips. I have not faced any problems with the RAM sticks which I am using and would like to tell you that they are 100% reliable. Apart from being reliable Crucial Ram sticks can be highly overclocked to enhance the performance of the chips to a great extent.

I agree with the Crucial ram chips being reliable and good at performance but I would like to add that using them in overclocked mode will certainly make them unreliable. The reason why people say Crucial chips are unreliable is because of Crucial pc2-8500 chips whose performance was very bad. The chips developed the fault more easily and hence were very unreliable. But the bad performance of the crucial chips is only limited to Crucial pc2-8500 chips which are not available in the market. So there is no problem in buying Crucial pc2-6400 for your computer.

Apart from crucial there are many manufacturers of the RAM chips which you can use to upgrade the system memory of the computer. There are manufacturers like Transcend, Corsair, Kingston, OCZ etc who make RAM chips. All the companies listed provide reliable and faster ram chips. All the chips provided by the companies can be used in overclock mode which increases the performance of the chip further.