Thread: Disabling a core on multicore processor

Disabling a core on multicore processor

Hi, i am a Linux user and have a very short query here about my processor. Actually i just wanted to know is it possible to turn off or disable one core in a dual core processor ?

If yes please let me know the process to do the same ? Thanks for all your helps.

Re: Disabling a core on multicore processor

Yeah, it is possible. In order to do so you just need to make some changes in Grub menu program. Here is the detailed process of doing the same:-

When you start your computer, you will see the Grub menu program, responsible for running the Linux boot. Move to the entry you want then press "e" you will see a menu like this (depending on your distribution):

Code:
    title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
     root (hd0, 5)
     kernel / boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root = UUID = a8a39729-9d2a-b84b-425B-ecc5c7dad104 ro quiet splash
     initrd / boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
     quiet
    With the arrows, scroll down to the line that begins with "kernel" and again press "e". You are currently editing the line that defines the path to your kernel, go right at the end of the line add a space and write

Code:
    maxcpus = 1
    Your full line will look like this:
    Code:
    kernel / boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root = UUID = a8a39729-9d2a-b84b-425B-ro quiet ecc5c7dad104 maxcpus = 1
    Once your edited line, press enter then press "b" to boot. Here is your operating system does take into account only one core of your processor. Thats it. You are done !!

Hey, thats really a great tip mate. Thanks for sharing this info. I am a Windows Vista user and would like to do the same for my dual core processor. Could you guys please make me know to do the same on Windows ? Help appreciated.

Disabling a core on Windows operating system is obviously little different but easier. Just go through the following steps to do so on Vista:-

Open
    1. the Start menu, then click Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
    2. In the window that opened, click the "Start"
    3. Then the button "advanced"
    4. A second window appears with the option to check to allow disabling the desired number of cores:
    5. Confirm with "OK"
    6. Restart the computer, to take effect.

Its really great and surprising tip to turn off a core so easily on windows operating system. Thanks for discussing this friends. But remember that this operation does not disable the material or cores chosen, it is only an opportunity to curb your operating system does not apply for (the) core (s) (s) chosen.