Thread: Intel Core i7 860 Heat Issue

Intel Core i7 860 Heat Issue

I have a 20inch flat-screen monitor, good keyboard and mouse, and DVD/CD drive. I have an i7 860 with Antec 900 and akasa 967 heatsink. I also have extremely high temperatures with prime. I have a cabinet with 1 fan in the front and one huge fan at the back. Is this causing the issue since there is not enough ventilation? It actually gets that hot the motherboard automatically compensates for the mass amount of heat and drops the 3.8GHz OC 920, to a x7.0 multiplier, (checked with CPU-Z) which finalizes the core speed to 1350MHz and still runs at 91c after that. This happens instantly too, within seconds and the longer prime is ran for, the lower the multiplier becomes and the less load it can withstand. So, can any one tell me how do i resolve Intel Core i7 860 heat issue? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Intel Core i7 860 Heat Issue

Intel Core i7 is Intel's brand name for several families of desktop and laptop 64-bit x86-64 processors using the Intel Nehalem micro architecture. The fact that the temp jumps that high instantly leads me to believe an issue with the heat transfer between the CPU and the Heatsink, therefor the thermal paste isn't doing its job properly. I would wait until you apply the Artic Silver before testing it again, you don't want to burn that CPU.

I have also tried cleaning the CPU and applying Arctic Silver instead of the paste that came with the new HS/fan but have not noticed much of a difference. t is impossible to have the akasa-967 pointing towards the back in an antec 900 case WITH side fan, so instead, the fan is pointed upwards towards the 200mm fan above.

The initial Core i7 processors released were codenamed Bloomfield branded as Core i7-9xx along with their Xeon 3500-series counterparts. The error reports are erroneous, as the issues are not related to the Core i7 (Nehalem) CPUs but rather to the system memory. As of 2009, they are Intel's high-end Desktop processors, sharing the Socket 1366 platform with the single and dual-processor server processors.

If you are using the stock cooler, you can try and replace the thermal paste, use TX2 or something that will decrease the temp. The problem lies in how you spread the thermal paste onto the CPU. Refer to Artic Silver's guide online on how to apply the thermal paste. My case has 3 fans, one on the side of the case blowing out, one below the PSU in the back on the tower blowing out, and the CPU fan blowing through the heatsink toward the fan below the PSU so the air is taken out of the case.

I'm checking the CPU temperature with the utility provided from ASUS, my motherboard manufacturer. As well as switching the fan on the cooler, you may want to check the flow of any other fans to try to ensure that they are working together. The temperatures are the same as reported by the hardware monitor in the BIOS. As far as I can tell the heatsink is seated properly. The installation required installing a mounting bracket and screwing the heatsink into the bracket.