Thread: Intel 915 boards having problems with certain PCI Express cards

Intel 915 boards having problems with certain PCI Express cards

I'm using Intel 915 boards and from last few days it has started giving me some problem. Sometimes the BIOS will read the PCI Express Lanes bandwidth as 2x and others as 16x. When it is in the clients computer, mostly it is 2x. Due to "PCI Espresso Bongo stability" problems, the Intel 915 chipset may not be quite ready for PCI Express yet. i925-based boards do not suffer from this problem and should handle PCI Express no problem. As always, ATI, Nvidia and Intel are currently shouting at each other. So, can any one tell me that why i'm facing Intel 915 boards have problems with certain PCI Express cards? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Intel 915 boards having problems with certain PCI Express cards

If you replace it now you may prevent damage to the M'Board, CPU, RAM and Video Card happening. Sounds like a faulty graphics card. I recommend to use the better quality Power Supplies that are rated to a constant load like the Antec Brand instead of the cheap No Name Power Supply's that are rated to a Peek Loading. You moved the graphics card to a different computer and that computer now shows some problems, so it's clearly a problem with the graphics card.

A problem with the graphics card could cause it to sometimes only use 2x lanes and sometimes the full 16x lanes. You can run a pci express cards on a 20 pin ATX 1.0 or 24 pin ATX 2.0 power supply. If there is no such setting in the BIOS, what I suggest is, uninstall graphic card drivers and then uninstall the graphic card from Device Manager ( not physically removing the card ) and reboot.

If the PCI-E slot was previously working and now doesn't, but the video is working in another slot. It would not be the video card at fault, it would seem the slot is the problem. It all depends upon what type of card it is and how Watts and amps are on a single 12 volt rail on ATX 1.0 power supply or double amps on a dual 12 volt ATX 2.0 power supply. If the PCI-E slot was previously working and now doesn't, but the video is working in another slot. It would not be the video card at fault, it would seem the slot is the problem.

You need to change the mode on that little paddle card between the PCIe x16 slots. SLI mode splits the pathways between the two slots (x8 each slot), while single card mode puts it all to one slot. A new protocol called PCI Express (PCIe) eliminates a lot of these shortcomings, provides more bandwidth and is compatible with existing operating systems. In this article, we'll examine what makes PCIe different from PCI.

You should not have to have the motherboard repaired unless the weak powersupply damaged it. You do definitely need a better and more powerful PS than the one you have. Upon Windows starting, it will tell you it has found new hardware. Just cancel all windows that open and install the drivers from the CD that came with the card or downloaded from the card maker's web site.