Thread: P8600 - Speed problems

P8600 - Speed problems

Hello to all,

I bought few months ago a Toshiba Satellite A300-1RH. After a few weeks I installed XP. Today, after noticing an excessive slowness in carrying out simulations with Simulink of MATLAB, I installed CPU Speed Pro and I did the test.

Result: the processor running at up to about 800 MHz, compared to 2.4 GHz it should have.

I read that I need to change the FSB, but I did not understand how, and especially from my bios I have the opportunity to do so (or am I not find it).

After several attempts and several reboots, the speed test is accurate, and also according to CPUZ on PC seems to be fine. The simulations are very slow. How is it possible that the speeds have stabilized by themselves? (beyond the fact that the slowness of simulation no longer depends on the processor)

So what is the actual cause of slowness of Windows XP running on Intel P8600 Processor?

Re: P8600 - Speed problems

Are you sure that your processor was not set to max battery or something like that in the power setting? Are they to their default settings? You certainly might have enabled something on energy saving. Even my laptop to second marks 800 MHz or 1600 MHz! .

Hello, I think not. I also changed the profile of energy saving but have not solved anything.

The situation is this: with battery power runs to 800, if I connect the power supply is turned on while still turns to 800. If you now restart (always with external power and no battery) runs at 2.4.

What should I change?

I also tried to turn on the pc without battery powered and scored from outside 1.2 GHz. I rebooted and it runs at 2.4 GHz.

What do you think? Do I have problems on the processor?

It 'absolutely normal that the CPU speed signs you less than the maximum for that CPU is the system energy savings that come into play.

Would not be normal if it stood still at the lowest speed even at times of higher demand for power.

What you do is check that when using an application that uses a lot of power goes to the processor at full speed while taking open cpu-z, for a split second after you close the application that requires more power than the CPU takes to travel to a minimum.

If even then it still goes to a minimum, then it is worth thinking about how to intervene and limit such disabling power management from BIOS.

To control even if there is such a problem solved for example with a BIOS upgrade, you should check them at Toshiba.

Another hypothesis possible, as with battery or not to say that changes little or nothing and the CPU will overheat quickly, so that you can fall at speeds of up precisely to avoid excessive overheating.

Regarding the slowness in carrying out the simulations, if it is one of the main uses to which it was intended the notebook, you probably want a notebook with different characteristics, in practice, more powerful, or better yet a desktop PC even mid-level that we would ensure greater speed for such activities.

This may be due to SpeedStep which is nothing but a series of dynamic frequency scaling technologies that is generally built into some Intel microprocessors that allow the clock speed of the processor to be dynamically changed by software. This allows the processor to meet the instantaneous performance needs of the operation being performed, while minimizing power draw and heat dissipation.

Thanks for the replies

I understand how it works and I installed cpuz and when they need me marks the maximum speed of my processor. The problem of speed of the simulation actually derived from my mistake in the compilation, making it much more complicated the solution of the Simulink diagram. Now a click and in less than a second is all done!