Thread: Advice on cooling a Core2 quad ?

Advice on cooling a Core2 quad ?

Hello,
    I have just put together a Zotac nForce 630i-ITX mother board with a Core2 Quad processor. It makes too much noise . The cpu temp is too hot. can you suggest me proper case and cooling system for the quad? Any Suggestion?

Re: Advice on cooling a Core2 quad ?

Go for Tuniq Tower 120 with Scythe SFF21D. The Tuniq Tower 120 is on the top of the list because it is one of the best air coolers and, I think, if it's lapped it can provide excellent temperature cooling to the processor. The same thing with the Thermalright Ultra-120, I'm considering it because it is a great fanless option to cooling processors, however, it can be on par with the Tuniq Tower with the right setup. The Zalman is here because it is a great cooler.Another option is watercooling, but as it scares you, the Scythe gets the vote. If you have the space for one of those, youll be fine, if space is limited (height), the thermalright si-128 is an awesome cooler if you can find one.

Get a passive heatsink, for CPU.It makes cool running at stock. You only want a little headroom you should have no problems with overclocking to around 2.9Ghz without even changing the voltage... I would look for the Tuniq Tower or the Scythe Infinity, both of which have optional fans.It might be a airflow problem with your case. Try running your computer with case open and monitor the temperatures. The point of doing this is to try to improve the airflow temporarily. If the monitored temperatures are significantly lower than before, then you need to improve your case cooling.

Have you installed heat sink properly. I recommend that try your motherboard and heatsink with different CPU. If your CPU tempreture still around 30s, then surely the old CPU is faulty. If it still around 50 or 60s while idling, then get a new motherboard and try it with the old CPU and heatsink.If after you try all this and the CPU's temp shows 50 or 60 while idling, then reinstall heatsink. If none of the above works, go to a professional.