Thread: Computer freezing at random

Computer freezing at random

Recently, I built a new computer from scratch (for the first time). Parts list: see below. It is working and Windows Vista is installed.

The problem I have now is that the system repeatedly hangs or freezes, seemingly at random.

Sometimes it happens during the boot-up screen (Asus logo), sometimes during the Vista boot progress bar, during Scandisk or at the 'flaming logo' when Vista is loaded, or anywhere in Windows.
    It hangs on mouse clicks or just 'on its own' (which may be during mouse movements). When there was a sound playing, it will continue to loop. Sometimes the hard disk makes a continuous rattling noise when the system freezes (but HDD LED is off), sometimes not. The fans will keep running and the display remains the same.

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, while pushing the reset button does of course, but most of the time it will freeze a couple of times more, up to the point where 1 in 5 boots is succesful (in that I reach the Windows desktop). Also, using a grounded power outlet (if that's its name... not a native speaker) doesn't make a difference.

I can think of 2 possible causes:
    - I'm using a power supply of 450W, while the Asus Power Calculator suggests 500-550W. Although I expect it to use a generous safety margin, I might have a lack of power.
    - Because of a lack of experience, the first time I mounted the motherboard in the case I forgot the spacers. It didn't boot, although I heard a faint 'snerk' sometimes. With the MoBo on the tabletop, it worked, and then I discovered the spacers (which were shipped with the case and not with the MB...). So I *may* have caused a shortcircuit on the MB.**

Buying these parts again and testing which of the old ones is faulty will cost me EUR 200 and a lot of work, so I'd like to know if there is something else I can do. Many thanks if you can help!

** If this is the case, could I claim warranty on the MB? The instruction booklet didn't mention spacers...

This is what I put together:
    - Asus P5Q3 motherboard, socket 775
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2.83 GHz
    - Kingston ValueRAM, DDR3-1333, 2x 2GB
    - Samsung HD103UJ hard disk, 1 TB, SATA 300
    - Club3D PCIe 2.0 16x video card, ATI Radeon HD4670, 1 GB
    - be quiet! Dark Power Pro 450W power supply
    - Asus TA-891 case

- LG BH08LS BluRay rewriter, SATA 150
    - TP-Link TL-WN951N 300M, PCI WiFi card
    - Scythe Kama Reader 2 cardreader, internal USB
    - front USB ports, internal USB
    - front audio connector, internal audio connection (although front headphones jack doesn't seem to work anymore)
    - Samsung HDD, 120 GB, IDE
    - 2 extra case fans 80mm (4 total). CPU (boxed cooler) remains at about 45ºC, MB will hit 50ºC sometimes.
    - USB printer, DVI monitor, PS/2 mouse and PS/2 keyboard, ethernet connection, headphones or hifi set on the rear line out
    - Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1 Dutch
    Last edited by tony_blues; 01-09-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: edit: not yet SP2

Re: Computer freezing at random

The easiest way to see what's wrong in computer, is to go on the event viewer (control panel, administrative tools, event viewer), go to system tab, and scroll, there is a date and time of the log, so you can check if it has made a log about your problem. I had a similar problem with bad disk (comp freezes on boot up screen), also make sure that you haven't conected on your disk both a sata power plug amd a molex power, it can only work with one, but it can also be a faulty memory module. You write that you use a 450w power supply, and the recomended is 500-550W, some comp wont even start on low power suply. So you can try to change that.

With such high configuration lie 1tb and ATI Radeon HD4670 1gb get 750 w power supply Should get high power supply .always get higher watt than calculate also check for memory ram compatibility

Thanks for your replies so far! I'm a bit busy these days... so not much time for trying things.
    @ memo_nn:
    I have looked in the event viewer, and it seems that the following errors might have something to do with it (translated from Dutch):

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\CLBStor.SYS could not be loaded due to incompatibility with this system. Contact the supplier of the software for a compatible version of this driver.

\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\CLBUDFR.SYS could not be loaded due to incompatibility with this system. Contact the supplier of the software for a compatible version of this driver.

The CyberLink UDF Filesystem Service could not be started due to the following error:
    The loading of the driver is being blocked.
    I will take a look into this next week...

The HDD is connected as it should, with only the SATA power connector.

@ both: it seems I may have to buy another power supply then :-o

I will check the memory next time also.

I have flashed the BIOS from version 707 to version 804, which seems to help a bit... :-)

Thanks again & I will be back within a few days!

Sorry people, for not reporting back for such a long time, I have been busy with my upcoming marriage... :-)

As I said in my previous post, I have updated the BIOS, and I haven't had the problem since. I suspect it might have been a RAM compatibility issue, as this was one of the items in the BIOS update's features list.

Thanks for your help!