Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAM Upgrade Please Help

sad RAM Upgrade Please Help

I have following Gigabyte MotherBoard :-

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mo...me=8I845GVM-RZ

Gigabyte 8I845GVM-RZ

All the details of motherboard is in the above link. I copied the Memory part of my motherboard specification as below
    Memory

1. Type: DDR333/266
    2. 2 x DIMM
    3. Max capacity: Up to 2 GB (Max 1 GB per slot)

But the disappointing part is that...when I searched market here in NP, New Delhi..No one is selling DDR 333Mhz RAM ..they all saying now is the age of DDR3 RAM...
    Only RAM available is DDR 400Mhz...some seller say it will be compliant with your motherboard, some says No it won't ...other seller saying...they can't say anything on this.

Currently installed RAM in my system is-- Slot 1 -- 128MB DDR 266Mhz -- Hyundai
    Slot 2 -- 256MB DDR 266MHz --Simmitronics

But I want to upgrade to 1GB atleast.... but don't know wat to do

As DDR 333Mhz is not available....pls help me ...wat will i do....Do I install the DDR 400Mhz RAM which is available....as some sellers says it will run in ur system wid 333MHz speed....I m not clear wat to do??? ....pls help me guys...

Also ...sellers only talk abt RAM capacity(512MB, 1GB etc.), type(DDR, DDR2 etc) and speed(400Mhz, 800Mhz etc.) but no1 talk abt other attributes of RAM...as I found from my motherboard specification that only 184pin DIMM, unbuffered, unregistered, non ECC, single channel DDR 266/333Mhz RAM is supported with.....even if assuming that DDR 400MHz can run on my motherboard....don't I have to look for these other attributes also??? ...coz no seller is telling anything abt theses??? pls help me ...

Thanks in advance & waiting for ur helpful replies..

Re: RAM Upgrade Please Help

hello smart deep,

i always heard that you could run larger ram but it would only run at the greatest ram allowed by the mother board. example putting 400mhz ram in a
    motherboard that topped out at 333mhz, you would only get 333mhz "tops".

i placed your motherboard into the crucial memory advisor tool here:
    http://www.crucial.com/

this site is very respected in the states. this is the memory it advised that could be placed in the memory slots in your motherboard.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...el=8I845GVM-RZ

you will see that they allow ddr 400 mhz.

hope this helps you decide.

good luck,
    craig

Hi smartdeep,

I found from my motherboard specification that only 184pin DIMM, unbuffered, unregistered, non ECC, single channel DDR 266/333Mhz RAM is supported
    Then why don't you go with 1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200 memory module. contact your dealer find out weather its available in New Delhi or else you can order it online.

It is now very difficult to get DDR ram and even if you get it is twice costlier than DDR2 ram. Even I have been searching in Mumbai here for DDR ram for my system (I am running with only 256MB and want to upgrade it to 1GB), but I am getting it at very few stores at very high rate.

Exclamation Re: RAM Upgrade Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by zpupster View Post
    hello smart deep,

i always heard that you could run larger ram but it would only run at the greatest ram allowed by the mother board. example putting 400mhz ram in a
    motherboard that topped out at 333mhz, you would only get 333mhz "tops".

i placed your motherboard into the crucial memory advisor tool here:
    http://www.crucial.com/

this site is very respected in the states. this is the memory it advised that could be placed in the memory slots in your motherboard.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...el=8I845GVM-RZ

you will see that they allow ddr 400 mhz.

hope this helps you decide.

good luck,
    craig
    Thanks Craig!!

I also heard abt running larger RAM above the allowed one...but never tried that...Actually, the thing is that.... no seller will replace or refund if it won't be compatible with my motherborad after buying it.....no1 provide me 400MHz RAM here on experimental basis......except to take my motherboard to the retailer for this ...and that's also I m not sure whether they allow this or nt here....

yes i also visited crucial.com...and this is only site which is saying PC3200 i.e. 400Mhz RAM can be compatible with my motherboard ...but all the other sites including my motherboard's web site gigabyte says only upto PC2700 i.e. 333Mhz is compatible with my motherboard....So, acc. to crucial.com...can i then go for 400Mhz RAM?

sad Re: RAM Upgrade Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by Mehfil View Post
    It is now very difficult to get DDR ram and even if you get it is twice costlier than DDR2 ram. Even I have been searching in Mumbai here for DDR ram for my system (I am running with only 256MB and want to upgrade it to 1GB), but I am getting it at very few stores at very high rate.
    yes mehfil ...u r rite....DDR are costlier than DDR2 ...don't know y...instead of that it is a old technology....n also avaiable in fewr store....n the worst part is that ...DDR 333Mhz is very rare ...i did't find it here...only DDR 400Mhz available with a higher price for the same 1GB DDR2 RAM....

also on ebay.in ...it is even more costlier from the stores...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian.j View Post
    Hi smartdeep,

Then why don't you go with 1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200 memory module. contact your dealer find out weather its available in New Delhi or else you can order it online.

thanks sebastian...actually, i m nt sure abt PC3200 RAM...n once if i buy it and after that found it not compatible with my motherboard,,,,it will be a waste for money to me...that's y wana to confirm that it will surely run on my motherboard...before buying it from the online/offline store....

sad Re: RAM Upgrade Please Help

plss help....i want to upgrade my RAM as soon i got to know wat to do
    so plss reply

Hello smartdeep!
    Well I can understand your problem & I must say that you need to find the right DDR ram compatible for your motherboard.
    I know its a tough task such Ram which is not currently available in the market.
    What I would suggest you is just go to our buy & sell section & put your requirement for ram with your needed specifications.
    If any user on our forum wants to sell such ram & is looking for a buyer then that will be a good thing for you.
    Till then we will also look for your requirement for DDR ram with 333mhz speed.
    All the best!

You can use a 400 MHz RAM it is downward compatible with a 333MHz board

Exclamation Re: RAM Upgrade Please Help

....Ok I m gonna to buy RAM tomorow...but d picture is nt totally clear to me still yet ...will post d results tomorow...

but ne suggestion b4 dat is very much welcomed

Post Re: RAM Upgrade Please Help

i bought Transcend DDR 400 1GN RAM....its wrkin fine ...but only at 266Mhz

question Re: RAM Upgrade Please Help

as mentioned in the link above my motherboard's website....my motherboard can support DDR 266/333 Mhz memory....then y this newly installed DDR 400Mhz RAM is running at 266 only....plss help ...hw can i increase its speed to 333???

Even if you up your ram, you won't notice any speed difference. Save that money for a better laptop, or build your own computer. Stability is the #1 problem with ram. And if that ram isn't very compatible with your motherboard and you do change the speed, it could crash, and not post boot anymore. Which means you'll have to remove the battery, and open up the case, do more stuff for just a hassle!

You might want to go in and tighten the timings and make sure the voltage is set to the maker's specifications.
    You can use a diagnostic program like Lavalys EVEREST to see what the actual frequency of the new chip is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast