Thread: Trouble building new system

Trouble building new system

I'll keep this short:

System:
    -CPU: AMD PHENOM X4 9950
    -GRAPHICS: ATI HD 4870
    -MEMORY: OCZ DDRII PC 8500, 2*2048
    -MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-MA790x-DS4 (AM2+ socket, 790X Chipset)
    -POWER: THERMALTAKE Toughpower 750 Watts

Here is my problem: I build my system on minimal config (no hard drives, no CD drives, no Mouse, no Keyboard), to make sure things are working fine:
    I turn on my system and everything seems fine, But I can't get a visual output on my screen (regardless of cable type). Pressing the on button does turn on the computer though (all the fans turn etc.)

I then realize I did not hear a single beep during post. Just to try, I removed the graphic card and the memory(only motherboard+cpu), and I did not get a single beep during post (with no memory nor graphic card, something HAS to be wrong). Further more, if everything IS fine, then I should get a single beep to confirm successful Bios load.

What should I do?
    Do you think my MotherBoard is faulty?

Re: Trouble building new system

Does this happen when the system is hot and first started, like running it a while, then shut down, and start it back up? If not, I'd still say it is heat related. Thermal problems are not always related to things getting too hot, sometimes a faulty component will work fine after it gets hot, and only show problems when it is cold, and vice versa.

Make sure you have the heatsink properly attatched. Please verify the heatsink is turned the right way, because they are notched to fit IN the socket. If you have it on backwards, it sits and an angle above the CPU and does not make good (if any) contact, although it looks like it is snug.

If this is not your problem, under NO circumanstances should your system EVER do this, despite your configuration settings or installed hardware.

My suggestion is to return what it is you bought that is causing the problem. Especially if it is getting worse.. it just be machochistic to keep it.

If you are looking for a solution, then you should probably start with the motherboard, CPU and PSU. Swap out each part with a known, working component (if available) and this will help you troubleshoot by elimination. Returning the board and CPU, I feel, will probably solve your problems.

Thanks for your input.

Basically, the system has never run. I still haven't seen the Bios.

Personally, I wouldn't think it is heat related, because it usually takes the POST 3-10 seconds to beep, and the bios to load. I doubt heat could cause a problem in that little time.

For information, I'm using the noctua NH-U12P heat sink(http://www.noctua.at/inc/imageviewer.php?item=14&pnr=1). because the processor is OVER the socket, and the contact on the heat sink is the lowest point of the heat sink, I'm guaranteed a good contact.

Right now, there are only few components: motherboard, cpu, and power, so it's one of these. If it was the CPU, my guess is that the bios would load fine, so if there is a problem, it is probably the mother board. Same for power.

Any other ideas? I bought the board online, and I don't really want to wait the 2 weeks+ for a replacement, especially if it is not a motherboard problem

I just found half the problem: My case doesn't have any internal speakers.
    What should I do to find out what the problem is? Without the beeps, I can't diagnose, and I don't have any spare parts either...
    help please...

Nice specs wish I could help gettin my computer parts in couple days and ill probably have a problem to lol.

Quote Originally Posted by drone_wolf View Post
    Nice specs wish I could help gettin my computer parts in couple days and ill probably have a problem to lol.
    Thanks. They are basically the best you can get without going into crazy overprice (IMO). Good luck on your build.