Thread: Can we have 2 processors on 1 motherboard?

Can we have 2 processors on 1 motherboard?

Hi,
    I just wanted to know if its possible?
    Can we have 2 processors on 1 motherboard?
    Am a noob please help me!

I presume you mean two physical CPUs and not a dual core. The question is why you need two CPUs for? A dual core cpu is just like two CPUs in one. The cost of two seperate CPUs on 1 motherboard is not economical. The only time you use a two or more CPUs are for servers. For regular use and gaming, 1 cpu is enought. Just pick a Dual core or quad core.

Hello,

Are you building a server?

Dual-socket motherboards were commonly used for departmental servers and high-end PCs until about five or so years ago, when the Pentium 4 arrived.

These days they are mostly relegated to higher-end servers which have four, eight or more sockets for Intel's Xeon or AMD's Opeteron CPUs and a few workstations for specialized tasks with two or four sockets. Apple's new MacPro, for example, is a dual processor Intel Xeon system.

These days, IWill, Supermicro and Tyan are the three multi-socket motherboard manufacturers I hear the most about, and companies like Dell, Hewlett-Packard and IBM also sell servers with multiple CPUs in them.

A good source of information about multi-socket motherboards (and related technologies) is 2CPU.

Regards,

Regina

yes...thr is something called skulltrail from intel it supports two quadcore cpus

Ok so if your a noob I doubt your asking about servers. I would really suggest that you go for a Core2 duo (2 cores on one CPU) or a quad core (4 cores on one CPU) if the price is low enough for you. Running two different CPU's on one motherboard would not be practical for home use unless you were say alot more than a die hard gamer.
    Last edited by LoneWolf_Spike; 29-09-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Well uderstanding the advanced hardware is something like a bouncer for me!
    Thanks for your replies!
    Now i am even more confused!
    Time to read books i think!

You won't neccesarily need book though they may be helpful. All you want really is the specifications (specs) of each of the computer parts if your interesting in buying. So look up things in google like "build your gaming computer" or "build computer" and more specifcally like CPU specs or Graphics Card specs.

Here is a few helpful links to guides
    http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/index.html
    http://www.cheap-computers-guide.com...omponents.html

For your CPU (processor) if you budget is around what I think most people have here, somewhere very roughly around $1500; I would suggest getting an Intel CPU. There are 2 main types of Intel CPU's on the market at the moment. One's with 2 cores (Intel Core2 duo) and ones with 4 cores (Intel Core2 quad). The quads are better to simply put it but if you only do one or two things at at time in terms of programs mianly you might be better of with a dual core, especially if yu don't want to pay the extra for a quad.

Anyway hopes this helps

If it helps as well, MaximumPC had an article in a slightly older magazine, their latest Dream Machine ('08, I believe) used a dual-CPU motherboard with two quad-cores, and it seemed well-explained enough for most needs.

Thank you both for the replies. Cheers

no worries

angry Re: Can we have 2 processors on 1 motherboard?

ok i read the replys to what u asked and no u shudent be confused you must be retarded they are basicly saying unless your making a server which is for big companys pretty much only that there is no point in having a 2 cpu pc if ur useing it for gaming or video editing get a quad core if just for video editing get a 6 core single cpu type it into google use ur brain thATS WHAT ITS FOR SIMPLE