Thread: Using Pendrives for RAM

Using Pendrives for RAM

My friend told me that he uses pen drive as RAM. I am surprised. Do you recommend using devices like pendrives RAM? If so, which program would you recommend for this. And also to check if it is actually occupied to working as RAM.

Is there some software that "supposedly" make a pendrive (or such removable drives) function as RAM. Personally I have never used such devices. I smell a trout

If this is really gonna to be true, I am really gonna put a light on it. My Windows XP has started working really slow now a days and I was thinking of upgrading Ram. If such program is there, that would be a great idea as I have very little ram and I have a pendrive of 2gb

I have never used it myself but today itself such a program was discussed at TechArena in this thread - eBoostr

Such programs like ReadyBoost or eBoostr are supposed to be a kind of cache programmes or more things that might be used to improve a little performance in what is disk access applications off, but that does not mean it is a replacement of ram. The ram is ten times faster than a disk or USB port or port sata so anyway is incomparable

I just had read about ready to boost view... and pendrives who say they are ready and boost everything (I do not know whether it will be special or to serve as pendrives)... but they appeared when the memories were expensive and now known as q cheaper is not worth.

SIP have something special, pendrives to become "readybost" must come with a minimum transfer rate, which is why these pendrives are much more expensive than others because the support, for example 10Mbps writing and reading 20MBps, pendrives and common flows are less than 5MBps and not enough speed to view the appropriate as ready boost.

So that means the conclusion is that the pendrive rams are insufficient to occupy as an ordinary Ram and one should go for an ordinary Ram!

Quote Originally Posted by Sid-O View Post
    So that means the conclusion is that the pendrive rams are insufficient to occupy as an ordinary Ram and one should go for an ordinary Ram!
    Its obviously better to use a normal Ram than to use its substitute if you seek for better performance.

Anyway, until a hard drive (50 MB/s approx) gives you better speed, make a separate partition and observe the difference.

In theory, we can, but only for use as cache memory, not as RAM for the transfer speed. When you say Word loads a program that gets loaded into RAM, if this is typed into the USB hard drive it will take a great deal in load (the difference in speed is as a consistent and as plane). In addition to this, these devices were not created for that purpose.

smile Re: Using Pendrives for RAM

Quote Originally Posted by giorgos View Post
    If this is really gonna to be true, I am really gonna put a light on it. My Windows XP has started working really slow now a days and I was thinking of upgrading Ram. If such program is there, that would be a great idea as I have very little ram and I have a pendrive of 2gb

Re: Using Pendrives for RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Sid-O View Post
    My friend told me that he uses pen drive as RAM. I am surprised. Do you recommend using devices like pendrives RAM? If so, which program would you recommend for this. And also to check if it is actually occupied to working as RAM.
    help! i am wating for your answer.

Re: Using Pendrives for RAM

Quote Originally Posted by prateek123456 View Post
    help! i am wating for your answer.
    Check this post: Use Your Pen Drive as Ram