Thread: getting Radeon R9 290X to work in Windows XP

getting Radeon R9 290X to work in Windows XP

I have recently purchased a new Radeon R9 290x graphics card and installed it on my old system which is running on Windows XP. I am soon going to build a new computer but till that time I want to use this video card on this OS. Now the issue that I am facing that is that when I try to run any games on this OS then I get error messages and the game will not launch at all. I also cannot find any latest drivers for this card which is not available for Windows XP. So has anyone got any tricks to get this card working on XP? Thanks

Re: getting Radeon R9 290X to work in Windows XP

I dont think that the Radeon R9 290X video card is supported for Windows XP operating system. It will work only on the latest OSes like Windows 7 and Windows 8. You can even check its technical specifications that mentions all this details. What is the make and model of the motherboard that you are using? Havent you tried to install the latest OS on your config or is it too outdated to support Windows 7 or 8?

What type of games you are trying to play with that graphics card on your Windows XP installation? If the games are compatible with Windows XP and doesnt need the latest DirectX 11 version or so, then it should work. But if you are trying to play new games such as Battlefield 4 or Far Cry 4 then this games require DirectX 11 and since the Windows XP OS doesnt support the directx version you will surely get error messages launching the game.

Just purchase the license version of Windows 7 and install it in your pc but do check that your old system is Windows 7 ready. Once you have installed this latest OS then go to the official AMD website and download the latest drivers for your Radeon R9 290x video card. By the way, which CPU you are using in your system? I am asking this because there will be some bottleneck issue if your CPU is too old and thus it will also require an upgrade.