Thread: switch from onboard intel graphics to Radeon HD 7700M

switch from onboard intel graphics to Radeon HD 7700M

I am having an Lenovo laptop that came with Windows 8 operating system which also has a Amd Radeon 7700m graphics card along with core i5-3210m cpu. Now I am looking to switch to this radeon graphics card while playing games but I am unable to do it. I have installed the latest graphics driver from the amd website as well. I have also checked the bios settings to change the graphics card but to no avail. Is there anyone who can tell me how do I switch to graphics card from onboard graphics on my laptop? Thanks

Re: switch from onboard intel graphics to Radeon HD 7700M

There should be some settings in the BIOS menu to enable the graphics card or else check to see if it works with auto-detect. By the way, have you made sure that your AMD graphics card is already running or not? To find it out go to device manager and disable it and then try to play heavy games on your laptop and check if the game is not able to open. If the game is running fine then your AMD GPU is already working normally.

Try to uninstall the graphics drivers first from your pc. To do that go to Start and type devmgmt.msc and press enter in search. After that choose both graphics card device under display adapters and right click on it and select properties. In the same window, go to Driver tab and click on Uninstall button and also check the box for "Delete the driver software for this device". Click ok and restart your system. After that reinstall only the video card driver and test again by playing some games.

Once you have installed the Catalyst Control Center then there are 2 modes that you need to check. First is the Power saving mode and if it is selected for an application then it uses the intel graphics card. The second mode is called High Performance and if it is selected for an application then it will automatically use the Radeon graphics card. You just need to configure it as per for your choice. Hope this helps you out.