Thread: Radeon R9 290X graphics card crashing

Radeon R9 290X graphics card crashing

I recently bought Radeon R9 290X video card 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I was trying to play Assassins Creed Unity on my machine and was facing to much of stuttering problems. So, I quit it and started playing Far Cry 4 and again got the same issue at 30fps range. When I looked in the MSI afterburner software then this graphics card was running at around 550mhz only? So, I started Furmark and started stress testing and the card crashed immediately. After restarting the games are now just giving artifact and crash after a few minute. Now I can even play games on my pc, so anyone can help? Thanks

Re: Radeon R9 290X graphics card crashing

I am thinking that there might be some graphics card temperature issue, so can you try to check the temperature of your video card at idle and at load while you are playing games? I am guessing that under load you will be reaching 90 degree Celcius or more and that is why the card is crashing every now and then. You will have to see whether something is not burned inside the card because of stress testing.

If nothing works then what you can do is try to flash your graphics card bios and see if that works. Can you tell us whether there was some previous event happend like a power shortage or something else which might have corrupted the card. It might also be possible that your Power Supply is having some problem, so to make sure just try to run HWMonitor Pro to check and log your PSU values while you are playing games for 30 minutes.

Have you tried reinstall the latest driver for your Radeon R9 290X video card? Even if reinstalling the latest graphics card driver is not doing anything then surely the card might have got damaged or it could also be defective. Another thing you can try is to test the graphics card on other computer and see its output. If it is working fine then check the PCIe slot of your motherboard to ensure nothing is wrong with it.