Thread: low FPS with Radeon R9 290X

low FPS with Radeon R9 290X

I have recently completed building up my computer today with the new Radeon R9 290X video card. After that I proceeded to test all the things and check if everything is stable and performign well but I was kind of disappointed after checking the frame rates compared to what other people are getting with this same hardware. I am using FX-8350 CPU along with 8GB of RAM. When I am playing any games like Crysis 3 then I am only getting 30-40 FPS with everything maxed out. For Battlefield 4 I am getting around 70-80 FPS at the highest specfications. I have checked that other players are getting higher frame rates compared to mine results. Can anyone tell me how do I correct this problem? Thanks

Re: low FPS with Radeon R9 290X

What is the make and model of the motherboard that you are using? Can you tell us whether there is any heatsink on its VRMs? If it is there then you can try to overclock your CPU mildly and check what results you are getting while playing any games at max settings. Since you will be overclocking your CPU then it will be a good idea to reapply the thermal paste and also readjust any CPU cooler in the case as well.

Well, can you try to download and install the latest version of the BIOS for your Graphics card and also your motherboard. What temperature you are getting while you are playing any games. You can download MSI Afterburner software to fine tune your graphics card settings and increase its performance to some greater extent. Once done, then re-test by playing any games on your computer at ultra settings and check the FPS rates.

I would recommend you to set the factory clocks back to the original for the graphics card. You can also try to take out the side panel off from the case to rule out overheating of something and use a common housefold fan into the PC when you are playing any games. You should also try to update your motherboard BIOS to the latest version, because it could be a problem there. There might be also some voltage fluctuations with the new hardware that you have put up.