Thread: Available cooling options for a graphic card

Available cooling options for a graphic card

My gpu has started heating up. Last time it stopped working. So I opened it up and cleaned the internal stuff. I wiped out the entire gpu and removed the fan also. There was quiet thick dust inside. The fan also stopped. I had bought another fan and added on it. It is not working fine. But again it is heating up. There is a black screen in between while playing games. The card is only a year old. The warranty is over. I want some help to find in a proper gpu cooler.

Re: Available cooling options for a graphic card

You can only get fans. You can hook that and done. When the processor is heating up then it mean it has very less life left. Because you will keep on using it like that and one day it will stop permanently. There are several cooling options available for a cpu, but for a graphic card there is nothing much. you have to rely on the single fan inside it. And that will only work well. Better take the graphic card to service center. Pay whatever they ask for and get it fixed.

At the service center you would get a better fan.And they will also apply a heatsink on the graphic processor. Do not try to fix it on your own. You must simply try using some third party solution for that. There are additional fans available. This will add more to the cooling. You will have to buy them with panels so that they can hold the gpu more properly. Keep on cleaning it from time to time it might survive.

For adding a cooler on the graphic card you will have to remove the top cover. You have to remove all other fan and a separate fan will be fitted on it. But that requires modification. In market there are very less manufacturer which provide customized solution for a gpu. That is because this cards comes in different site. Check a few video on YouTube. You will get more idea about what I am talking.

The cooler depend on your card model. Like you can easily find a nice cpu cooler for GTX 570. You have to remove the top case and fan for that and hook the cooler. I had seen it has two big size fans on the top side. And they are good enough for gaming purpose. Manufacturers must work on gpu cooling also. They just give a basic air cooler which fails to work fine when you are playing games on extreme level.

Even if you find a fan it is quiet not easy to fix it. You can face issue with the fixing stuff. The best thing you can do is clean the fan and tie up your cable in the cpu case if they are messed up. This will make more room for ventilation. You can add a bit more cpu fans on the top and back and on the side panel. So that if there is a more hot air it can drawn out far more easily. Adding cpu fan will help a little.

Overheating simply means that the heatsink on the graphic processor is dried up. You can add that and check back. If that does not work then the only solution left is to add a bigger fan with bigger heatsink. But you have to take help from a expert who can do this. Or else the fitting will be not easy. The fan can tilt down and loose connection with the processor causing it to overheat.

Liquid cooler is the best solution. It keeps your processor cooler for longer period and at extreme usage. I had just purchased Antec Kulher portable liquid cooler solution. It is easy to install and it keeps my processor temperature below 30degree. Even if I am playing games the cpu remains cool. It is very efficient compared to air cooler. For gpu you need specialized tubes to apply liquid cooler.