Thread: Vertical thin lines on monitor while playing HD games on old gaming pc

Vertical thin lines on monitor while playing HD games on old gaming pc

Whenever I start a game I am getting vertical thin line on the screen. I am using a LCD monitor. It is bought a year ago and it is still working fine. But when I launch the game a vertical thin line appear and it did not go. I am playing From Dust here. The game is working fine. I had tried to modified the resolution but still the line remain constant. The line does not appear at the time of watching movies and doing any other work.

Re: Vertical thin lines on monitor while playing HD games on old gaming pc

Looks corrupt video driver. When last you updated the drivers. Try to get a new version and install it on your system. You have to find the driver on the basis of your gpu model. Like Nvidia or AMD. Go on the official website and get proper driver and install them in your pc.

First you have to find out that what thing is causing that line. There are three things you have to check. The first is monitor. You said that you are getting the lines only when you launch game. Reduce the screen resolution and check. If you are getting line on videos, and other time while using system then your monitor is having some hardware issue. Second thing you have to check is the display cable. If you are using a vga or dvi try to replace it. You can test the same in some other working pc. Most of the time this kind of issue appear due to damage cable. The last thing you have to see is the gpu. Graphic cards cause this problem due to hardware issue. Most of the cards stop working after a few months when this kind of issue appear. Try to connect the monitor directly to your motherboard trough display cable and run any video. If the lines does not appear then the problem is with the gpu.

Does the line flicker. Means to appear and goes. I got this issue on my LCD monitor. The problem was with the monitor hardware. Luckily it was under warranty and I got it fixed for free from the service center.

I got this issue on Radeon gpu. The most common issue behind this problem is heat. When you are playing games your graphic card heats a lot and generate this things. You have to checkout the ventilation. Try to get a good cooler. Many big size cabinet comes with 120mm fans. You can try adding two in the case and that will draw out maximum heat. Second thing open your cpu case see whether the fan on graphic card is working or not. It happens sometime the fan fails and the gpu produce a good amount of heat. If you keep using the system in same manner then it might stop working soon. Another thing which you can verify is the display cable. You can remove it and test it with a new one. It is cheap in the market. You buy and checkout with the same. Finding gpu temp is easy through a temperature monitoring app. There are many free apps. It will also show you the maximum load on your system and offer you a proper output.

I had gone through that problem on my CRT monitor. It was also having the same issue. But that was due to lcd problem. I replaced it and it is now working fine. There are no vertical lines nor there is any issue while watching videos.

I got this problem on a dual monitor when I was trying to play Call of Duty. Here the issue was resolved when I changed the cable. I am talking about the display cable. You have to replace that. If the issue is not resolved the problem lies with the graphic card. The monitor is working well. Just for testing purpose you have to hook the monitor on the on-board display. That is the default vga connector. But that is limited and you cannot play games on it. If you are getting lines on it then the issue lies with the monitor. Or else gpu is damage and you have to carry it to the service center if any warranty is left. Try to reduce the game resolution and test it once again. Sometime over using the gpu also cause the same issue. You will have to limit the usage and then test back. I think that will be more than enough to fix the issue.

Do you have another monitor. If yes then just connect it to your system. I am asking you to setup dual monitor. This will let you find the issue. If you are getting the same line on both then it can be a gpu or cable issue.