Thread: Does the graphic card affects the performance of cpu

Does the graphic card affects the performance of cpu

I added a new graphic card in my system to play games. I was not having anything before. I am having a Core i3 system which is loaded with 4GB ram and 500GB hard drive. The integrated graphics on the board is Intel HD 4000. After adding the gpu I found the system is working slower. The only recent thing I installed in my system is the gpu drivers. That's all. While all other things are fine. After adding the gpu this kind of problem started appearing.

Re: Does the graphic card affects the performance of cpu

I do not think so a gpu can put any pressure on the cpu. You have to check your system properly. There are a number of different benchmarking tools available that can provide you more information on your system output. You can test them.

There can be certain reasons for the same. Ample of time when you add a new hardware like a gpu or any other storage media due to lower power supply the overall performance of the system is affected. What is the psu your system has. It is below 400w. If yes then you will have to buy a new one which is more higher. Low power supply effects the performance causing severe issue with other hardware also. A number of time people keeps on adding new hardware but does not think about the psu. Which creates a issue later. It not only reduce the cpu performance but it puts overall impact on the hardware life also. So the first thing you have to do is upgrade your power supply to 400w or even higher. 700w will be more than enough. Then test back. It looks the gpu is consuming too much power due to which the output of your processor is affected. Which you can fix by adding more powerful smps.

Update your motherboard drivers. Also see whether your cpu is not heating up. You can find that inside the bios. There is a real-time temperature monitoring support available that gives you all current ratings. If it is heating up then it simply means there is no enough power supply available.