Thread: throttling problem with HD 7970

throttling problem with HD 7970

I am using a HD 7970 graphics card that I had recently bought. The problem that I am facing this card is that in almost all the games, the core frequency starts tojump aroung anywhere from 500 to 1000mhz range. This video card is being run at clock settings and as soon as the problem starts, the temperatures starts to rise to 50-55C. This throttling problem will start anytime it wants and I dont know what is causing this issue. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this problem? Thanks.

Re: throttling problem with HD 7970

One of my friend was having a similar issue and he was running a 6 to 8 pin adapter in his pc which was causing a lot of issues with stability and performance with the same card. The system never used to crash but was throttling very awkwardly. So, after some suggestions he bought a Power Supply with the right PCIe ends and got 25% gamin in performance and the system also used to be consistent. So, you can also buy some good PSU with a 750W and 6x6 pins for the video card.

Yes, even I think that the Power Supply might be the problem, what is the make and model of the psu that you have? The HD 7970 card doesnt require a big PSU but even a 550W from Seasonic gold or platinum edition would be enough to run it. Will you be able to post a picture of the clocks that you are getting from some program like GPUz or similar? Also check and report back the voltages of the card that you are getting here.

Can you try to flash the bios of the card with a refrence version? It might be possible that the heatsink would be problematic, a part of the heatsink on the card might not be correctly seater on top of the card. That is why you are getting unusual raise in the temperature and clocks as well. Eitherways, if you will try to remove the heatsink then you could void the warranty, so better return it back for a RMA to the company itself to take card about this problem.