Thread: Which gpu to upgrade from GTX 285

Which gpu to upgrade from GTX 285

I am using GTX 285 graphic card on my system. It is a bit low end card purchased long time ago. Now I want to buy a new one. I am willing to upgrade to a new card but I am confused what to go for. I am having a new board here which I had changed sometime ago. I am trying to play latest games on it, but the screen is laggy on highest screen resolution. I am not getting the exact fps. It is a 1GB card. I had first bought that for video editing job. On which it works fine. But on gaming the output is poor.

Re: Which gpu to upgrade from GTX 285

I will recommend GTX 680 Ti. Which is another powerful card that offers you great performance in terms of gaming. It is better in hardware configuration and I think will work with all latest games. Just checkout the specification you will get more information on it.

The best card to go after that is GTX 560 Ti. This card gives you more Graphics Clock rate here which is 822Mhz while on the older one it is just 648MHz. I am just listing this card on the basis of old one because I am not really sure which board you are having. The upgrade also depend on that. If you can post the complete system configuration here, then that would be more better to assist you. There are ample of new generation cards in the market which are high end, but it is essential that your motherboard must support them. Like some from Radeon series. GTX 560Ti is another great budget card that can give you more power over 285. The processor clock on 560 Ti is 1645Mhz higher than 1476MHz on 285. While in terms of ram GTX 560 Ti offer you 1GB DDR5 compare to the older one that offer you GDDR3 only. The cost of 560 Ti is Rs.15,000 online. It will work well with your existing motherboard. There are some different edition available in the same series by ASUS, Forsa and Zotac. The price is different. Forsa gives you the cheapest 560 Ti card for Rs.12,600. But it is better you check the specs first before buying. The difference here really matters. If the output is poor then you will not get a great performance. It is also not complicated to find any latest high end card on the basis of your board configuration. If your board supports PCIe 3.0 cards and has more than 550w of psu then you go for any new card which is better. While in terms of other feature almost everything looks similar.

GeForce GTX 285 is a budget graphic card that comes at a reasonable price range with effective pricing. But however that is not really enough for gaming output. For upgrade there are ample of models available. I know some entry level gpu's in the market. They are AMD Radeon HD 7750, HD 7770, Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6570, etc. This are some good entry level cards.

You must post the complete system config here. Which is more better. If you go with older cards then it is of no use. The games today are high demanding in terms of output. It is a bit complicated for you to get the right output. So better checkout the entry level card. Rightnow you are using a 2 year old gpu and in the mean time there are tons of new upgrades. One card that I know well is XFX NVIDIA GT 520 2 GB DDR3. This s a nice budget card offering you a 2GB of video memory. It has support for DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.1 along with 3D vision. And it works nice with the system which has a 450w psu. In terms of output the card is great offering you mid range gaming experience. The card is bit old in terms of hardware config. It is a PCi 2.0 card which works well with old systems. While all new cards comes with PCi 3.0. I had seen ample of new models at a budget price range which works well with many new games. As you mentioned that you are using GTX 285 then going for GT 520 2GB will give you more addon benefit. The card comes below Rs.4000 which is not bad at all. It has a 810Mhz gpu clock speed with 1620Mhz shared clock.

Whatever budget card you buy you will get average output on the same. It does not matter whether the used video memory is 1GB or 2GB. Whatever you buy below $100 will not give you high end gaming experience. You will need to buy a better card and to gain more output you will have to update other hardware also.

I think GeForce GTX 650 Ti will be better for you. I am not sure about the SLi specs, but I think it is possible to use it with GTX 285. It also supports overclocking giving you a nice output in terms of performance. The card is well suited for all new games. The cost of the card is around Rs.10,000. The latest GTX series by Nvidia begins with 700. That would cost more. But still there are ample of choices available under the 600 series. The latest among them is GTX 690 while a bit budget one is GTX 680. Here 690 is more better in terms of performance output. It gives a better processing power with great features also while compare to that GTX 680 is more power efficient. You can keep on going to the lower series unless you really get a reasonable budget card that offers you great strengths and performance output. While 660 Ti is buildup for fast gaming here. It offers you a high resolution output and support for DirectX 11. There are two editions available under the same. The first is regular 660 Ti while the other one is 660 Ti Boost. The second one here is specifically designed to give out more powerful output in terms of gaming performance. It is a 2GB GDDR5 graphic card. It offer support for 3D Vision, Surround, CUDA, DirectX 11, PhysX, SLI, TXAA, Adaptive VSync, FXAA, and GPU Boost. The maximum digital resolution the same is 4096x2160 that is more than enough for any gaming output. While at a time you can connect upto 4 display on the same.

I am using Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 gpu. This is another great gpu offering you a 1330Mhz of gpu memory clock for video processing. It is a PCi 2.1 card giving out AMD 3D support and maximum resolution for 2560x1600. I think this card will be great for you. It comes around Rs.5,000.