Thread: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 making noise

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 making noise

I bought GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 graphic card recently, may be about 2 weeks ago. It worked fine so far. Due to some reasons i need to lay down my cabinet to make it fit comfortable and for better cooling. But as soon as i do it, 7950 starts making annoying sound. By telling annoying sound i literally mean very loud sound. I opened the cabinet fixed all wires again though they were not the reason for noise but still it it makes noise. I dont know what is wrong.

As far as i know grahic cards may make such sounds but when they become old as my earlier 4 years old graphic card use to do. But this is not acceptable as it is a brand new card just 2 weeks old. Is the card faulty or something else?

Re: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 making noise

One of my friends is also using the same card since over a month now and we play games frequently on his system but we never faced any such problem. I don’t think the card is faulty instead there could be some another problem. Probably the fans. You should check out the fans. It may make noise if there is something conflicting or hitting them. Or many times the noise occurs in case they are not properly lubricated.

The best you can do is remove it completely out of the Cabinet. Fix all wires in such a way that the card space remains completely empty. Do this by lying down the cabinet on its side as you are going to put it. Once done, replug the card, and boot. See if it is still making the noise. Probably it should not.

Re: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7950 making noise

I thought I was alone with this issue but seems like I got a company. Even I am having the same problem with 7950 but in my case it occurs occasionally. Whenever I keep my fan speed below and upto 30% OR above or from 70%, it doesn’t makes any sound. But when the fan speed remains about 50%, it makes very irritating sound like something is hitting the Fan. Let me tell you that my Cabinet cover is kept open and I can see the card, there is nothing hitting the fan at all.

Any idea what could be the reason and how can I fix it? Thank you.