Thread: HD Radeon Mobility 5650's driver causes artifacts when the aspect ratio is stretched

HD Radeon Mobility 5650's driver causes artifacts when the aspect ratio is stretched

Hello, I am new here. I own a Dell Inspiron n5010 laptop that is equipped with Radeon Mobility hd 5650 video card. The problem is as following: ALL the games that do not support the native desktop resolution (I mean old games like Diablo, Lionheart, GTA2 etc.) have the same problem; as the aspect ratio is like 4:3, they have to stretch to fit the display. In all these games that need to stretch there is some kind of image artifact in the left side of the screen that looks like a stripe (3 mm wide) that goes all the way from the top to the bottom of the left side of the display. The surface of this stripe looks like in the JPG that I attached (you can see that the same thing happens with the desktop when set to 640x480 and has to stretch - and that weird texture is shaking and distorts the image all the way across the left small edge of the display but it is harder to notice because of the blue color). To make this problem go away, I have two choices: to let the windows install the basic video driver which is very old, or to install ANY other video driver (up to 13.1 for BOTH Windows Vista and Windows 8) and to chose the option to preserve aspect ratio in CCC. So, I hope I made myself clear in a way. BTW, English is not my native language. So, does my problem sound familiar to anyone?

The oldest driver, the one from dell's site, however, corrects this problem but that is a little old. I tried to mess with some options in CCC but to no avail. Please someone who could help me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: HD Radeon Mobility 5650's driver causes artifacts when the aspect ratio is stretched

It is always suggested that you should try to reinstall the latest video driver and also make sure that the Bios is up to date. It might also be a hardware failure, so you can check for warranty for your laptop and see if it can be replaced: http://www.dell.com/support/troubles...roductSelector

Re: HD Radeon Mobility 5650's driver causes artifacts when the aspect ratio is stretched

Absolutely everything else is up to date and the old driver from Dell's website works as it should. And I repeat: this happens only when the aspect ratio of the display needs to stretch for better fitting and I want to play old games with 4:3 aspect ratio with this ratio actually stretched...

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilonn View Post
    Absolutely everything else is up to date and the old driver from Dell's website works as it should. And I repeat: this happens only when the aspect ratio of the display needs to stretch for better fitting and I want to play old games with 4:3 aspect ratio with this ratio actually stretched...
    Which version of windows you are running ? Is it windows 8?

If yes, then you can try running the game in compatibility mode and check out if you are able to get rid of the artifacts there.

Vista, 8, doesn't matter...and that thing happens also with the desktop as you can see in my attachment.

Well, I would say that better stay with the working drivers at the moment so that there wont be any issues till the time a real solution would come out to fix the aspect ration problem.