Thread: Ati radeon x1600- Windows 8 driver won’t get installed

Ati radeon x1600- Windows 8 driver won’t get installed

My system has Ati radeon x1600 graphic card (desktop version) and I did not had any issue with it while working on windows 7. Today I have installed windows 8 and I am not able to install a driver for it via windows update and their official site doesn’t have a windows 8 compatible driver for my card. Is there anyone who can help me out, is there any alternate driver that I can try to install???

Re: Ati radeon x1600- Windows 8 driver won’t get installed

What do you just mean by “I am not able to install a driver” are you getting any error message when you are trying to install the driver for your card?? If yes then post it in your next reply so that I can have better idea of the issue you are going through. Also, can you let me know the version of the driver you are trying to install??

Windows update is not able to come up with a compatible driver for my card it came up with a message saying "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. The driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows". As I have mentioned I have checked out their official site and they haven’t come up with a windows 8 compatible driver. While carrying out my search I went through some sites and came across some people who were in same condition before, they suggested me to download and install 10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc driver, saying that it has worked out for them under windows 8. I tried doing the same thing but the installation came up with an error saying it’s not compatible and all.

Did you try installing the driver in compatibility mode??? If not then give that a try and let me know if it gets installed. You can follow below steps you can follow below steps:
    Right click on the installer, select properties and select compatibility tab
    In compatibility tab, check mark “Run this program in compatibility mode” and select windows 7 in compatibility drop down box
    Save the change by clicking on apply and then on ok and run the installer again.

Try this:
    Download ATI Drivers from here
    Run the installer in compatibility mode with windows 7
    Once the installer extract drivers, close the installer, right click on “My computer, click on manage and check out for VGA Controller/Card/generic VGA Adapter
    Now right click on your graphic card, click on Update Drivers, select "Browse My computer for Drivers", point it to C:/ATI and wait for the installation to get completed.

Some people have mentioned that Video driver (ATI Mobility Radeon, FireGL PCI Express-2) for Windows Vista (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad R60, T60, T60p, Z61m, Z61p from Lenovo site has worked out for them under windows 8 for Ati radeon x1600. If you want then you can try installing the same and let us know if it works.

I see most of the people agreeing upon 10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc driver. It’s compatible with all of the below ATI Radeon X1 series card:
    ATI Radeon X1050 Series
    ATI Radeon X1300 Series
    ATI Radeon X1550 Series
    ATI Radeon X1600 Series
    ATI Radeon X1650 Series
    ATI Radeon X1800 Series
    ATI Radeon X1900 Series
    ATI Radeon Xpress Series
    ATI Radeon X1200 Series
    ATI Radeon X1250 Series
    ATI Radeon X2100 Series
    So Ill suggest you to install it first, in case if it doesn’t work for you then you can try installing the Lenovo one.

Yes try installing 10-2_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc driver in compatibility mode first but just make sure that you are uninstalling your current driver and you are cleaning your drive and registry as well. You can use CCleaner for cleaning your drive and registry and try installing the legacy driver after that.