Thread: BSOD and BCCode 116 with GTX 480 SC sli setup

BSOD and BCCode 116 with GTX 480 SC sli setup

I have been using in GTX 480 SC sli setup in my system and everything was working fine by now without any issues but I don’t know what have went wrong with it suddenly and now I have started facing BSOD’s and BCCode 116 with the same. This happens mostly when I am playing games. I have tried running the game on different settings and resolution but it is not making any difference and I am getting BSODs after playing the games for sometimes. I did not had any issues with them earlier and these games were working fine as well, is there anything that I can try out to find out the cause of the issue and get it working well again??

Re: BSOD and BCCode 116 with GTX 480 SC sli setup

As far as I can guess I think either you might be having a overheating issues or one of your video card might have turned faulty. So first check out if the environment in the case while reproducing the issue on the other hand, if you suspect it to be an overheating issue then better set the cpu/ram to their stock settings and see if it is making any difference.

If that’s not helping then you can try running the game keeping the case open and force the fan high to keep then cool. If you don’t get bsods after this then you might have to upgrade the psu in your case or add case fans. If you don’t think that this is getting caused by overheating then check out single cards in your system instead of using them in sli and see if any of the card is appearing to be faulty. Just try out these things and let me know what you get so that I can have a better idea of your situation and will suggest you accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vascon!cell View Post
    As far as I can guess I think either you might be having a overheating issues or one of your video card might have turned faulty. So first check out if the environment in the case while reproducing the issue on the other hand, if you suspect it to be an overheating issue then better set the cpu/ram to their stock settings and see if it is making any difference.
    So now I have kept the case open and I do suspect it to be because of overheating but as suggested setting the cpu/ram to their stock settings or running the game with cpu case open is not appearing to be making any difference. I have found that their temperature is going above 85C after playing a game for some time. So does that mean that I will have to upgrade the psu or add case fans to it?? To be at the safer side I have found that the cards are working fine alone and they are not resulting into overheating, I am able to play the game as well.

The problem is that when I am adding the other one in to sli then I am running in to same issues. Does that mean that one of my cards is turning faulty?? I am really running out of ideas here. Any further help regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Since you have mentioned that the cards are not working fine in sli and they are working alone without any issues. I think it might be related to drivers, Power Supply or overheating. I don’t think that you are having a faulty card, I wanted to know that are you having the latest driver for the video card? If not then try updating the video card to the latest driver first and see if it is making any difference. If not then you can try out using a better psu, there are chances that the psu is not able to cool down the heat that might be getting produced when the cards are in sli.

If you want then you can go under the tab Fan and checkmark options like "Enable software automatic fan control" as well as "Force fan speed update on each period". If that works then you can use it like that, if it does not then you will surely have to test out the system with a different psu. If you are not willing to update the psu for now then as suggested you can add some cheap case fans and that should handle the cards properly as well.

Which psu you are using? as you have said that the cards were working fine before without any issues in the same environment with the same games. I think that the psu is the culprit for this and not the video cards. The psu might be turning faulty and so because of which it is working but it is not able to provide the required cooling when the cards are in sli setup.

Trying out other psu is really a good idea to narrow down this cause of this issue. I don’t think that updating driver to the latest will be making any difference in your case as the issue is pointing more towards the psu and not the cards.

Anyways just try out the things that have been suggested to you and let me know if you are getting any help from the same.

I am having Corsair HX1000, I think that you guys are right. I have tried out updating the graphic card driver to the latest but they are just not making any difference. I have tried some different version of drivers as well but I did not have any luck. So after trying out all the suggestions even I feel that there is something wrong going with the psu. Anyways I am not willing to add case fans but updating the psu itself. So I just wanted to know from you guys that which psu will be best for handlings these cards in sli ? I don’t want to run into such issues again damaging the cards. Any suggestions for psu ??

In that case you can check out the below ones tow them are from Antec where as two of them are from CORSAIR, I will suggest you to go for CORSAIR one but you can get the one you find better.

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply ($199):

It supports the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS12V v2.92 standards and it compatible with ATX12V v2.2 and ATX12V v2.01. It is an 80 PLUS Gold certified power supply and can handle load between 20% and 100% easily and help you saying electricity bill as well. It is capable of proving better output for high-end computer systems. It can handle energy-hungry components like VGA cards and cpu. It reduces air friction and provides a better airflow due to its low-profile, flat cable design. It comes with an ultra-quiet 120mm San Ace fan from Sanyo Denki for delivering better airflow at the lowest noise level. It is an ideal for SLI or CrossFireX gaming system with its 4 x 6+2-pin PCI-E connectors.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply ($134):

It is Compliant with ATX 12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards and even it is capable of handling load between 20% and 100%. It has a dedicated 60A and its single +12V rail is capable of giving an output of 840W power which is required for handling high-end graphics cards. One can get maximum applicability and flexibility with its AC input from 90~264V. it comes with an ultra-quiet double ball-bearing fan for better performance and low noise.

Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply ($119):

Even this one supports the latest ATX12V v2.31 and EPS12V v2.92 standards and is capable of handling load between 20% and 100%. It has gone through a number of NVIDIA SLI certification tests and has found to be providing maximum system stability for NVIDIA SLI systems. T cones with advanced Hybrid Cable Management System for reducing resistance and minimizing cable clutter pt provide a better airflow. It has a 120mm PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) fan for better airflow and heat dissipation.

Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply ($130):

It is Compatible with the ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V standards and provides maximum power of 850W for providing reliable output for ultra high-end computers. It is capable of providing 85% power efficiency which helps in saving energy and reducing bills. It comes with four PCI-E connectors (2 x 6pin, 2 x 6+2pin) for providing power to the multi-GPU platform system, it has a 80mm fan for better and efficient cooling.