Thread: Is it possible to run MSI 790XT-G45 without graphics adapter?

Is it possible to run MSI 790XT-G45 without graphics adapter?

My System is using the MSI 790XT-G45 motherboard and I want to run this board without the use of graphics adapter. Is it possible to run any motherboard or only this motherboard like this? How to disable the graphics adapter in the BIOS? If I installed gaphics card on this motherboard, I don’t want to use it all the time since it will take too much load on processor and memory. Even it consumes more power. So I only need to use Graphics card whenever I play games and during other situations the system should run at integrated graphics only. Is there any way to handle the System like this manner at instant time or by using the BIOS?

Re: Is it possible to run MSI 790XT-G45 without graphics adapter?

AS far as I know that there is no way to disable the Graphics adapter on your motherboard unless the BIOS specially has support for this. The stock BIOS does not provide this features. I don’t have any idea about the latest version of BIOS yet. But it is possible for you to set the onboard graphics as a primary display via BIOS setup. To do this, you have to go into the BIOS setting and enter into the chipset menu. There you have to configure the "set primary display option to AGI or PCI". Finally save the setting and exit from the BIOS. On the other hand you can also disable the onboard graphics if you only want to use the dedicated graphics card. It is possible via Device Manager. If your Graphic adapter fails you can get the display from the integrated Graphics by connecting monitor directly to the motherboard and vice versa.

Onboard graphics can be found on any motherboard. It is possible for you to switch between the onboard graphics card to a secondary graphics card. The Windows native app called "Device Manager" will allow you to disable one and then enable the other at any time. To do this:
    • Go to the Windows "Device Manager" either from the control panel or from the My computer properties.
    • Right click on the onboard graphics card inside the "Display Adapters” listing and choose Disable.
    • On the other side if the secondary graphics card disabled, right click on it and choose Enable.

I don’t think that it is a convenient method to switch between 2 different Graphic adapters. There should be an Automatic switching. Earlier, the MacBook Pro model had a capability to switch between Graphics processor because the Mac OS X had inbuilt support for this. You can enable and disable, back and forth according to the application needs. There are some third party apps which will force the system to use the dedicated graphics processor even when it is not necessary which will surely impact the system performance. Yet switchable GPU support is available from the MSI site. In some laptops you can see this feature. For example Dell/Alienware M11x. The manufacturer should provide their native utility to customize the setting and switch between graphics.

Currently only the Asus motherboard has got the LucidLogix Virtu feature from which you can switch between the graphics easily. Actually it automatically switches the graphics. On the MSI side you can only see this automatic switching technology in Fuzion series motherboards because they contain somewhat similar technology of LucidLogix. This solution is for automatically switch between the integrated graphics and add-in cards. It somewhat works like NVIDIA's Optimus technology on laptops. But here you can sue Virtu on any graphics card. This is only available in later Asus motherboards. Older motherboard does not come with this technology.