Thread: AMD Radeon HD 7990 in CrossfireX

AMD Radeon HD 7990 in CrossfireX

I would like to upgrade my computer from old Asus EAH6870 Graphics card with a new one. Finally I am decided to wait for the ATi HD7990 since it is not released yet. The reports say that it will be available at the end of this April. What do you think about this card? Do you think that it will outperform well among other cards. I am thinking about buying 2 of them and put them into CrossfireX since my motherboard support this features but I have doubt about its drivers and BIOS compatibility. Do you think that everything can be managed properly?

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7990 in CrossfireX

While the launch of the Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 is just around the corner. Curiously information has been leaked the last graph that will comprise the 7000 series from AMD, this is none other than the dual GPU AMD Radeon HD 7990, which will be presented this April. The Radeon HD 7990 is formed by two 28 nm GPUs Tahiti in a configuration "Crossfire on a stick" (two GPUs on one PCB). The frequencies of the core would be set at 850 MHz while the memory they would at 5.00 GHz. So I don’t think that you need to add one more Card in CrossfireX mode to get ultimate performance since it already included the dual GPU. The configuration of each GPU Tahiti is the same as the Radeon HD 7970, 2048 Graphics Core Next Stream Processors, 128 TMUs, 32 ROPs, and 3 GB of GDDR5 memory and a memory interface of 384 bits. Logically, all multiplied by two, bringing the Radeon HD 7990 will feature 6 GB of fast memory, making it the queen Eyefinity configurations. It is expected that the Radeon HD 7990 has a very high price to pay to overcome the current titleholders of the Radeon HD 6990 and GeForce GTX 590 from Nvidia.

Grouping in a single graphics card, two chipsets Tahiti XT interconnected via CrossFireX technology, the Radeon HD 7990 embark 3 GB of GDDR5 memory on a 384-bit bus for each GPU, a total of 6 GB of memory. The operating frequencies are not yet known, but presumably that AMD cannot keep a frequency of 925 MHz for the GPU, as is the case of the Radeon HD 7970 . However, technology should allow ZeroCore "off" completely the second GPU when not in use. The problem is that there are very few games that require a SLI or CrossFire. In general, computers are based on "brute force" with respect to other hardware. But I think today and with very few exceptions (counted on the fingers of one hand and your fingers than enough), current results do not take advantage, let alone an SLI or CrossFire.

What can be expected?

I do not think the big revolution in the GPU, but a simple innovation. According to sources, this new graphics card could contain two chipsets Tahiti XT interconnected via CrossFireX. The Radeon HD 7990 embarks 3 GB of GDDR5 memory on a 384-bit bus for each GPU, a total of 6 GB of memory.

At operating frequencies, no data has yet filtered through the canvas. But we can already assume that AMD cannot keep frequency of about 925MHz for GPU as the Radeon HD 7970. By cons, the technology could allow ZeroCore off one of the two GPU if it is unused.

One can expect the fruits of AMD technology called ZeroCore, this technology low consumption to zero when monitor is off or in black (idle), but this technology Crossfire configurations completely removes the power of other video cards except Primary (0) to a state of zero consumption when the system is not running heavy graphics applications. This means that in Idle or watching movies or bluray DVD consumption in HD 7990 will be close to or equal to that of 7970 which is impressive.