Thread: ATI Radeon HD 5870 is putting graphics all over the screen

ATI Radeon HD 5870 is putting graphics all over the screen

I have recently bought ATI Radeon HD 5870 and have installed the same on Mac Pro which is running on the Mac OS X (10.7.3) with a Mac screen, the system is starting well but after that there are graphic lines all over the screen and even bits of the screen missing, I am not able to track out the cause of the issue, so I just wanted to know if there is any workaround that I can try out to know if it is the card or the Mac Pro causing the issue, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea of some solutions that can be tried out??

Re: ATI Radeon HD 5870 is putting graphics all over the screen

In that case I will suggest you to check out the below things first so that I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and I will try to to help you with the same as well:
    • Make sure that the 2 x 6-pin aux power cables is not faulty and so
    • Try out reseating the video card
    • You can try out resetting the PRAM by rebooting the system and then holding down the Command+Option+P+R keys,the Mac reboot sound will assure you that the PRAM has been reset, so make sure that you hear the same.

If that does not help then you can try to do a safe boot as well, if you want then you can try creating another account and then boot in normally, there are possibilities that there might be something wrong with the main account, if you still have the issue after trying out the above solutions then just post back the files from the below location in the same order so that I can go through them to find out the cause of the issue.
    • /Library/LaunchAgents
    • /Library/LaunchDaemons
    • /Library/StartupItems

You can just open the Terminal from the Utilities and then copy the below line and post the output of the same:
    kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 $7 } '
    If you are not aware of these things then I will like to inform you that there are the system wide places for third-party add-ons, when you boot up in the safe mode then they are suppressed and they become suspects, anyways just check out the things that I have mentioned and then let me know the response that you get for them for further help.

I have checked out the 2 x 6-pin aux power cables and there is nothing wrong with the same, I have reseated the video card and have also reset the PRAM using the Command+Option+P+R keys during the boot up but then it does not seems to be making any difference and I am getting the same response from it, I have tried booting the system in the safe boot but then there is no sound no wacom and I really want this card to work as they are very new, I don’t think that there is any issues with them but then as I told I am not able to track out the cause of the issue. I have also tried creating another account and then booting normally into it boot normally into it but then the issue is still the same, I have checked out for the files that you have suggested and this is what all I have found:
    Terminal : harson-leudde-mac-pro:~ harsonleudde$
    /Library/LaunchAgents :com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist com.adobe.CS5ServiceManager.plist com.epson.epw.agent.plist com.micromat.TechToolProAgent.plist com.symantec.uiagent.application.plist
    com.wacom.pentablet.plist com.wacom.wacomtablet.plist net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist.
    LaunchDaemons:
    com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist com.aladdin.aksusbd.plist com.aladdin.hasplmd.plist
    com.app4mac.CheckUpAgent.plist com.apple.aelwriter.plist com.apple.qmaster.qmasterd.plist
    com.apple.remotepairtool.plist com.cleverfiles.cfbackd.plist com.micromat.TechToolProDaemon.plist
    com.sophos.autoupdate.plist com.sophos.intercheck.plist com.sophos.notification.plist
    com.symantec.avscandaemon.plist com.symantec.diskMountNotify.plist
    com.symantec.MissedTasks.plist com.symantec.navapd.plist
    com.symantec.navapdaemonsl.plist com.symantec.Sched502-1.plist
    com.symantec.sharedsettings.plist com.symantec.symdaemon.plist
    com.symantec.symSchedDaemon.plist com.symantec.uiagent.plist com.xrite.device.xrdd.plist
    /Library/StartupItems:
    PACESupport.plist Executor PACESupport ProTec6 ProTec6b
    Any further help for the same will be highly appreciated.

I have checked them out and I think that there is something wrong with the card, I know that is had worked out in the safe mode and that is the reason I have asked for the above files, you have not copied the files for the “kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 $7 } '
    “Command, I will like to inform that there are a number of possible suspects that can be here, just try out the below suggested things as well:
    • Remove the PACE stuff,I have found it to be causing issue in most of the cases.
    • Remove the sophos stuff as it is not recommended to keep two ant viruses
    • What is this?? com.xrite.device.xrdd.plist
    • Remove or disable the Symantec AV stuff, there are possibilities of it being the troublemaker.
    • Remove the Adobe stuff as well as the wacom stuff.

Just try these things out and then let me know what you get for further help.

I completely agree to the investigation that you have suggested him to carry out, even I have went through the requested file and have found that there are some un-required software’s/software components which are being used, the fact that the video card is working fine in the safe mode just ensures that it is providing the basic, un-accelerated, unenhanced video but then I don’t think that the softwares might be causing the graphics anomalies, as far as I am aware Safe mode just unloads all graphics drivers and only the most basic graphics production ability of the card is used, I mean that once the drivers gets loaded then the card has to produce accelerated graphics, perform Open GL, OpenCL along with the Core Image functions as well, all these processes demand GPU and card architecture and after that the graphics anomalies are produced, as far as the solution you have tried so far and the response that you have got I think that the card is defective and since it is very new better get an replacement for the same.

Yes having more than one antivirus in the same system is not recommended, I have found that you are having a couple of them, I just wanted to share that Everything a Virus-checker do basically looks like Virus, so if you are having more than one Virus-checker then they will be trying to stop each other from carrying out their tasks, hence it is recommended to have only one Virus checker program installed, you have more than that then they can bring up more risk to your Mac, I will suggest you to just keep the Symantec and then remove the other ant viruses and see if it is making any difference, I am not quite sure if they might be causing the issues but then these are things that you can try out if you think that there is nothing wrong with the card, if the solutions that has been mentioned here are not making any difference in your case then I will say that your card is faulty, you can better send it back to the place from where you might have bought it. I have checked out about the same case where users have faced graphics all over the screen with their card and on most of the cases people where having faulty video card and I suspect you to be having the same case. Just check out the things that have been suggested and let us know the response you get with the replaced card.