Thread: Performance of AMD Trinity APU using crossfire

Performance of AMD Trinity APU using crossfire

Recently I have tested the AMD a8-3870k (Llano) processor crossfire with AMD Radeon HD 6670. While running games and other demos I got some a similar performance which I have got with Radeon 6770. It didn’t impress me so much. The AMD has introduced next generation Trinity APU. So I am assuming that it would able to crossfire with AMD 7XXX series cards. If so, then I would think that we can build a budget gaming on ultra settings. What do you say about this?

Re: Performance of AMD Trinity APU using crossfire

This year at CES, the AMD had introduced a second-generation APUs in the FM2 package. The rumors say that they are built on the basis of its brand-new "Piledriver" CPU as well as "Graphics CoreNext" GPU architectures. The A10-5800K unveiled keeping overclockers in mind because it has an unlocked base clock multiplier and four x86-64 cores. The clock speed of this APU is 3.80 GHz (nominal) and 4.20 GHz Turbo Core. You don’t need to crossfire this APU with any other card because it already had a AMD Radeon HD 7660D graphics.

While looking into the detailed specification it is denoted that, yet AMD does not have triple-core APUs. The A10 series consists of quad-core APUs which comes with Radeon HD 7660D graphics. On the other hand the current A8 also consists of quad-core APUs but with Radeon HD 7560D graphics which is much slower than the A10 one. If I talk about the HD 7660D, it has 384 Graphics CoreNext stream processors but the HD 7560D contains only 256. The good feature of HD 7540D and later have the compatibility crossfire technology. With this you can pair APU with compatible discrete GPU to get extreme graphics experience. But the performance varies depending on the architecture of APU but not of discrete GPU if you are comparing with only one for now.

As far as I know that AMD Trinity APU is not the complete finished product yet. If it is really a complete Trinity CPU, It should provide at least 30% performance increase in CPU and up to 50% in graphics performance against the LIano. The Trinity should offer high performance improvement since it comes with better and advance graphics processor built in it. Also the AMD "Trinity" APU using DirectX 11 graphics chip and have support of up to 2133Mhz DDR3 system memory, 4MB of L2 cache. It should offer controls of every Mhz on the final APU TDP. Now the only competition is GPU part of APU between AMD and Intel. I assume that the AMD has great opportunity with this new Trinity APU to bring back most of the market share that is held by Intel for now.

Basically running the dual graphics and it is running fine. I also have an A8-3850 in combination with a HD6670. Games where crossfire supports is simply great and run games without such support (DX9 games in particular) also show no odd behavior, simply because crossfire is not enabled. The advantage is that you can get so-called "switchable graphics". You can tell an application must be controlled by saving power or achievement (such as gaming access to both the graphics cards provide).

With the next generation AMD APU Trinity is also under some pressure to act. For the CPU section, it is reliance on high-end architecture bulldozers provide a performance gain for the GPU area and expected a significant boost in clock speed. The FM2 processors are compared to the corresponding films with current Llano models - two-A8, A6 and A4 models (quad, triple-or dual-core) are facing each other there. While the performance difference between Llano and Trinity moves in PCMark Vantage manageable at 14 percent, there is in the GPU-heavy scenarios, a more distinct difference - here, at 32 Trinity (3DMark Vantage) and 56 percent (GPGPU), well ahead of Llano. When combining the integrated GPU with an appropriate graphics card (dual graphics, discrete and integrated GPU CrossFireX out) there are significant jump in performance.

Right now I have a pretty beast rig, i5 2500k, 8gb 1600mhz ram, crossfired 2gb unlocked 6950s, and what not. ran me well over $2000

I'm thinking about selling it since I went way overkill because I sold my old mac for $2k and had the money to kill.

Anyways what I'm hoping to do is get an A10, and crossfire with the best card it will let me, and get a Dell u2711 for the difference in cash (or the new version if it comes out) but at 2560x1440 i fear that llano even with crossfire wont give me good enough framerates in current and future FPS games. I mostly play COD, but who knows what the future holds.

A 7770 or 7750 would be nice, i saw sapphire has a fanless version planned which i would like. or maybe id just have to settle for a 2gb 7670.

Thoughts?

Information has recently emerged regarding AMD Trinity in which we can see some of the features that have these APU. A 59% increase in productivity and 29% in graphics performance compared to the Llano APU. Also those are optimized for the Windows 8 (AVX instructions, AES-NI, SSE4.2, and graphics DirectX 11.1) and reduced consumption to prolong battery life by up to 12 hours depending on course the final model. Finally allude to the new Turbo Core AMD 3.0, with which the processor frequency up automatically. The HD 7000 series graphics is proving successful and are expected to Vishera, the successor of Bulldozer to compete with Intel and their Ivy Bridge.