Thread: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 is dropping framerate randomly

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 is dropping framerate randomly

I have recently installed EVGA GeForce GTX 680 in to my system and now I have found that the get a 3-4 fps drop randomly when I am playing any games, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with it performance but then It is just not staying still with 60 fps, I mean that after a minute and so it will drop to 56 and again after a minute or two it again comes back to 60, I have found this to be happening in Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim, I was using 560 Ti and I really never faced any such issues with it but then I don’t know what is wrong with the EVGA 680, I just wanted to know that is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about any update fixing this issue??? My system specs are as followed:
    • Core i7 2600k
    • Corsair Force SSD 120gb
    • Windows 7 64
    • 8GB DDR3
    • 850psu

Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 is dropping framerate randomly

In that case I just wanted to know that are you getting Vsync stutter when the rate drops for some second and so?? If you have not, then just inspect the same and then let me know what you get, if there is no much difference then 1 or 2 then there are possibilities that there is some bug with the fps monitor but then if you don’t think so then you can try out using the new adaptive V sync setting to check if it is making any difference or not, I am assuming that you are having the latest graphic card driver as well, if not then install it now and then post back the result that you get. Best of luck.

I have been noticing the difference even when the frame rate is not running but then I am not sure if the framerate drops at that time, anyways I just wanted to share that I have enabled the adaptive V sync setting for global applications and now things are appearing to be ok so far but then I will test it out thoroughly and will let you know the result that I get, I was having the latest driver for the graphic card previously so I don’t think that there is any issues with the driver, I had thought of enabling the adaptive V sync setting previously as well but then I was not able to figure it out as it was not there in the v sync drop box.

As far as I am aware the drop in frame rate that you are facing is normal and I don’t think that there is any issues as such in your case, when one enables the VSYNC it just helps in preventing screen tearing above the target FPS and it basically does the same by synching the card's created frame according to the monitor screen update. Even with the VSYNC enabled I have found people facing annoying stutter as it crosses below 60FPS, the basically happens because it has to wait as it misses the update at that time, the other thing I wanted to share is that the Adaptive VSYNC actually disables the VSYNC, so with this you won’t be getting sudden stutter if it drops below the target FPS as well but then there are chances that you might get screen tearing below the target as the VSYNC would be disabled when the Adaptive VSYNC is enabled. So here one has to just adjust the quality settings to obtain VSYNC at least 90% in order to avoid stuttering and screen tearing.

I completely agree to you but then I will like to add that the FRAPS can monitor your frame rate from time to time, just to explain the same in detail. Under FPS you can set the benchmark to 180 seconds and get the MinMaxAvg" enabled but then here It will be better if you will try out getting the Average close to 70FPS and for that you will have to adjust the quality settings respectively. I have checked out and have found that the game benchmarks are rarely indicative as far as the actual game play is concerned, in gta I had benchmark of roughly twice the actual game play but then I was experiencing drops to 20FPS which was very depressing.