Thread: Gpu Frequency lesser than what mentioned in specification

Gpu Frequency lesser than what mentioned in specification

This is just a weird thing I had found in a new gpu purchased recently by my cousin. It is a MSI 440GT GPU. The specification of the same shows that this graphic card has memory frequency of 1800Mhz. But when I tested that the same I sound that maximum memory frequency it uses was 667Mhz. Not more than this. This is half the lower amount of power the gpu is giving me. The motherboard is fine has a pcie support. So what can be the issue. Do I need to do some changes in the same. Is there a settings in the bios which can help me to unlock the same. Need urgent help. Thanks.

Re: Gpu Frequency lesser than what mentioned in specification

It does not really matters what the specification says. First thing you have to check that your motherboard should have enough power to support the same. If the gpu is DDR5 and your motherboard does not supports a DDR5 or supports till DDR3 then you can do nothing much in that. The card is right in its place. On the other hand you must try to run a new driver or firmware update on the same. The driver update plays a vital role in improving the gpus performance. Most recent drivers the must better output you will get on your screen. It is recommended that you first check the official site for the same. Another thing which I want to mention here is the gpu frequency also matters on the base of pci slot your system has. So whenever you are buying a very high end card you must first read the specification properly and in detail. They mention clearly about the mhz the gpu can give you particular slot only. The frequency is actually the clock speed of the graphic card. So if you want to check whether the card is faulty or not then there is a option. You will need a clock checker tool that can show you the actual working frequency of the graphic card.

One of them is The AMD GPU Clock Tool. A very simple and easy to use tool which shows you the current status of your system. If you find that the gpu is giving a very low clock speed as what you had find in the specification then you will need to ask for a replacement. You can show the same to service center to find what is the actual issue. If the card is faulty you will surely get a replacement. Second thing there is one more reason why the gpu gives a very low rate of cock speed. The PSU is responsible for the same. If you have a good system but a low psu you cannot enjoy full power out of your cpu/gpu. To get a instant fix or to avoid replacing the gpu I will advice you to upgrade your power supply. Always whenever you are purchasing a grpahic card you must upgrade your psu also. A gpu needs more power which cannot be fulfilled by the regular psu.

Download and install GPUz. It is a utility that shows you information the gpu clock rate. Now note down the information provided by the tool. Then later on we will do some changes and find that there is any change in the clock rate or not. So go in Control panel and look for hardware and sound. Then click on Power option and choose Balance settings. Under that click on Balanced settings and click to change the current plan settings. Under that look for Advance power settings. Below for the PCI express you will have to find the power state management. Set the same OFF. Re-verify this again. Once it is done click on Apply Ok. Now exist everything running on your desktop. Run GPUz and see what speed not it shows you. If there is changes then the fault does not lie in the graphic card. It can be due to your systems limitation. Another thing some gpus are equipped with technology of reducing or using the clock ration whenever needed. So try to run some games and check that it lags or it work properly.

It is a DDR3 gpu card with clock ratio of 1800Mhz and 1024GB Ram. So that looks quiet a good configuration. If the gpu is responding slow then there are some basic tips you can try out. First defrag your drive. By defraging your drive performance will increase which in return will give a boost to the gpu. Somehow the process is taking more time to appear which is making all stuff slow. Second thing the issue of power supply is mentioned right. You must have a psu in your system above 440w for better and smoother performance.

You can leave the same without worry. The gpu clock rate drops when it is idle. So that frequency which you saw might be on the low usage time. At the time when you play game or use any graphical tool the usage ratio simply increases to more higher rate.