Thread: How is DVI-I different from DVI-D?

How is DVI-I different from DVI-D?

Hi all,

I want to know that how is the DVI-I different from DVI-D? What are the main differences between these two? I was searching for the same on google and gone through some of the results but that was so complicated to understand. So thought, I should start a thread on this and get some idea from the people over here. I am really interested to know this. Other than this, if you are having any other link that can help me to get it understand better then provide me that also. I will be thankful for all the replies for this.

Re: How is DVI-I different from DVI-D?

At first, the connectors were VGA, video (or component), S-VHS and SCART connectors. All use analog signals. Analog signals means that does not require any equipment to process the images (and sound). Everything electronics needed is now outdated. Today, when "everything" has gone digital have two new rules called DVI and HDM I. While HDMI is the new comprehensive standard for connecting computers and television (and soon all the gadgets and appliances) still can find devices with DVI. Especially when connecting a PC to your flat screen monitor, television or projector.

DVI is the predecessor of HDMI, and the main difference is that HDMI carries audio signal and video, while DVI signal is silent (no audio.). The letters A, D and R indicate the different technologies. DVI-I is a connector that is compatible with DVI-A and DVI-D (not supported). DVI-A is largely computer-readable format. DVI-D is commonly used in all other home electronics. Another term that comes into play is the Dual Link (double bond), which makes DVI supports high resolution displays. This is sometimes referred to as DVI-DL.
    • DVI-A = Analog
    • DVI-D = Digital
    • DVI-I = Integrated (Both A and D)
    • Integrated M1-DA = (A, D, R and USB)

Single Link DVI with a signal is somewhat equal to the analog video signal. The signal quality is limited only by the transmission speed at the copper (transfer rate of up to 165 MHz). Single Link Signal gives a maximum resolution of 2098 × 1311 pixels (16:10) and 1915 × 1436 pixels (4:3). That is for most products are more than enough. For components requiring greater bandwidth (165 MHz above) a second set of wires are provided for sending the information twice. As compared to Progressive vs. Interlaced singals (progressive interlace signals.). DVI is the direct successor to the popular VGA port and is now found in a variety of devices. Especially in the computer field have DVI cables in place to transfer the data between the monitor and graphics card. Even on newer televisions, DVD players and other electronic equipment which is DVI interface.

An analog data transmission with VGA or SCART achieved depending on the cable at a resolution of WUXGA (1920 x 1200 pixels) which is the upper limit. At higher resolutions it comes to image distortion. With DVI (except 12 +5), the data transmission is fully digital, eliminating the need for two signal conversions (analog to digital device cable to digital equipment), the transmission paths from the analog VGA and scart were still needed. DVI transmits the data uncompressed over the TMDS (Transition Minimised Differential Signalling) standard and can achieve resolutions up to 3840 x 2400 pixels through the use of multiple TMDS links. The technology used in DVI TMDS transmission transmits a single link DVI version 3 digital signals for data transmission and a signal for synchronization.

The DVI standard transmits only analog signals. A DVI-A connector has 12 +5 contacts. DVI-A is used primarily as a transition to the older VGA standard. Therefore, there are DVI-A as an adapter cable: DVI VGA cable or DVI VGA adapter. Since DVI-A pure analog can be only a maximum VGA resolution of WUXGA (1920 x 1200 pixels). Typical cable lengths go from a DVI to VGA cable up to 20m, or alternatively can be a longer VGA cable and have to get the connector with a DVI 12 +5 to VGA adapter to make sure. Signals are transmitted in this type of DVI pure digital. DVI D 18 +1 cable are DVI Single Link and thus achieve a resolution of XGA (1600 x 1200 pixels). If this resolution is not sufficient, you need a DVI D 24 +1 cable.

DVI-I carries both DVI Digital (DVI-D) and DVI Analog( DVI-A) signal and DVI-D is digital only. For example if you have a DVI-D video card and want to connect it to VGA monitor you would need a DVI-D to VGA converter. You can't use cheap adapters because they only transfer anlog part of DVI to VGA so you won't get an image. I had an application where I needed a few DVI-D to VGA converters and KVMSwitchTech's ( Part # sca-dvi-ana) unit worked well for my needs.

DVI combines integrated analog and digital data transmission. In this combined port analog and digital devices are connected. With a DVI-I Single Link cable you can find a DVI connector with 18 +5 pins. There is the combined 5-pin connector in the right side of the DVI-I 18 +5 cable. These cables also have 5-pin connector in the right side and in addition, the dual-link property, which is why QXGA resolutions (2560 x 1600 pixels) is possible. DVI-I output sockets can be connected to any DVI cable types and represent a large variety of connections securely. This connection is often found on PC graphics cards, since both analog and digital monitors can be connected.