Thread: MLAA 2.0 versus SMAA and new Adaptive MSAA in latest drivers for ATI graphic cards

MLAA 2.0 versus SMAA and new Adaptive MSAA in latest drivers for ATI graphic cards

I have heard that the latest 12.3+ graphic drivers for ATI graphic cards will provide new features in anti-aliasing techniques. I suppose it has functions to enable MLAA 2.0, SMAA and new Adaptive MSAA if the game supports these functions. I don’t have an ATI graphic card right now, but if it is providing a good quality of graphics then, I think that I will buy one to enjoy it. Has anyone used it or seen it? Can someone tell me if these new anti-aliasing functions are worth buying a new ATI graphic card? Also can someone describe what difference is seen between these 3 anti-aliasing features, that is MLAA 2.0, SMAA and new Adaptive MSAA. Is it noticeable or just some minor detailing increases has been done?

Re: MLAA 2.0 versus SMAA and new Adaptive MSAA in latest drivers for ATI graphic cards

Anti-aliasing feature is used to maintain the sharpness and smoothness of any object in the virtual 3D world. MLAA 2.0 provides difference of 2 frames if compared with the performance of MLAA 1.0. The edges are maintained at same sharpness and smoothness level. If compared with the new adaptive MSAA, then it keeps the framerate high as well as upgrades the smoothing and sharpness of the object better than MLAA 2.0. Adaptive MSAA is mainly designed to focus on minute objects rather than big objects. For example, I tried this feature in battlefield 3 for comparison and testing the framerate. If you use a gun with powerful scope like a sniper rifle and focus it on a fence made of diamond shaped metal grid at a long distance, then you can see the pixels of the grid. This is due to loss of quality when looked closer at it. But with adaptive MSAA, the grids won’t look pixilated, rather it will give smoother edges for a realistic looks.

Re: MLAA 2.0 versus SMAA and new Adaptive MSAA in latest drivers for ATI graphic cards

I tried using these feature in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. I too notice the difference that you have described about the small objects in the game. This MSAA works as a post render utility and renders a smooth edge for objects that are not even noticeable. The best thing that I found about this feature is that it maintains the framerate of the display and never gives the lagging feeling. I am running this game in resolution of 1280 X 1024 and with x4MSAA and other graphic details also at the highest. Usually when I used MLAA, the framerate would be around 60 fps. This value too wouldn’t be consistent. The value would be ranging between 40 fps to 60 fps. But now with the new adaptive MSAA at x4 value, the framerate goes up to 90 fps.

These new features are built especially for people who use multiple monitors for gaming. When combined with 3D surround effect, it gives a good result and an excellent gaming experience. Previously before these new anti-aliasing techniques were introduced, on the multi screen gaming, objects like metal grill, wooden walls or wooden flooring which has large number of gaps between them used to give a look of having jagged edges. This would never happen on game played on single monitor. In multiple monitor, it would get enough space to stretch or ft itself. Due to this it would result in jagged or pixilated edges. But now with these new anti-aliasing techniques, you can see a large difference in the output. Even without using the sniper scope or other zooming features, you can see the detailing ion such objects. In previous versions, when I played game like Alan Wake which needed our character to play using torch, when light fell on such small objects, its shadow would have jagged edges. Now due to these new anti-aliasing techniques, even the edges of the shadows have become smooth.

I noticed the difference in quality of shadow of small objects while playing Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. The shadows of small objects like small weapons in characters hand or small falling objects were having great details. I have researched and found that using MLAA 2.0 and Adaptive MSAA works best in the game. According to my research, the framerate increases when different anti-aliasing techniques are combined together. Here are the framerates that I got while playing Just Cause 2,
    • x2 SSAA + MLAA = 89 fps
    • x2 MSAA Adaptive + MLAA = 98 fps
    • x4 MSAA + MLAA = 86 fps

The clarity in the edges of small objects is seen in this combination is due to the level of supersampling it uses. The area covered by the supersampling in adaptive MSAA is small. Thus it works on smaller area resulting in concentration of details in that part only.

I think that these new anti-aliasing techniques, especially Adaptive MSAA have its disadvantages too. It does not work properly in monitors of size less than 23”. In small displays, it looks like the pixels have been clustered to create distorted or over colorful patches in small objects. It seems that these features are made only for very big resolutions. So when they are used on low resolution display units, they don’t give a desirable effect. I think that people with small display screens will have to play it on old MLAA or MLAA 2.0 until a new technique is developed to optimize the adaptive MSAA in small resolution or screens. Also many games haven’t been designed to adapt their textures and graphical details to these anti-aliasing techniques. So I think that we will have to wait for some months before game developers start developing games for this feature too.