Thread: Common problems of Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

Common problems of Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

I work as a hardware engineer and my job is to assemble PC for my clients. I also need to solve any problem in hardware. Recently I was working with Nvidia GTX 560 Ti graphic card which I have installed in computers of many of my clients. While installing them, I noticed that it had many problems. To start with, many times I have seen that GeForce GTX 560 Ti manufactures by other companies like MSI, Galaxy or Gigabyte doesn’t work properly. Many of the products that I assembled were already overclocked. Many of these graphic cards don’t have compatible graphic drivers available. Also I think that the amount of power it is consuming is more than the normal value. I still haven’t received any complaints regarding the graphic card I have sold, but I think that my clients might be experiencing certain problems when they must be using the graphic card for gaming. Did anyone else too notice such problems? I think it would be good to know these problems before hand so that if any day my client complains, I can be ready.

Re: Common problems of Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

I think that you are not just alone who is experiencing problems with Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti. I am using it for controlling multiple monitors using the SLI technology and I am having trouble finding the appropriate updates for the drivers supporting the SLI in this graphic card. By the way, my graphic card is manufactured by Gigabyte. I am using Windows 7 64-bit version as my OS in my computer. I was playing Mafia II once and in between the game the game crashed with a black screen. I first thought that it must be a bug in the game, but I asked some of my friends who too were playing the same game and they never had this problem. Similar problems were again noticed when I played Call of Duty: Black Ops. On enquiring about this situation, I found that there is an incompatibility issue with my graphic card. This issue is not seen when I don’t use SLI and play game on single monitor. So I think that there is an problem with the SLI of this graphic card.

First thing that One should check in this case is if their PSU is supplying enough power to the graphic card or not. I have seen graphic cards having problem when they are connected to the PSU with several smaller rail architecture. I myself prefer using PSU with single rail architecture instead of multiple rail structure. It is observed that a PSU with three 18 amp rails can’t handle the 20 amp device properly. The main issue that occurs in this case is that of stability. This problem is always found in overclocked graphic cards and underclocking such graphic cards really helps to solve this problem. But again, underclocking a graphic card results in compromising of its performance.

I too have observed a bad overclocking in the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphic cards. It really causes problems of crashing or low and inconsistent framerates when I played heavy games like Battlefield 3. I bypassed the overclock of this graphic card using 3D Mark 11 and now the graphic card is stable and working fine. There is a bit rise in the temperature of the core, but it is fine, the graphic card is not overheating and also giving me desired performance.

If you are having problems with overclocked graphic cards, then you can use MSI afterburner to underclock the graphic card. In rare cases, it happens so that the graphic card that is overclocked loses its compatibility with the drivers. It is very rare, but if it happens then there is no way of reverting the process back. As mentioned, if the games are crashing while playing then the problem is with the drivers. As we know that Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti has problems with the compatibility of its drivers, one can RMA the graphic card with the manufacturer or get it replaced for a new one.

I too got an overclocked graphic card and all I did was underclock it to make it work properly. The default core value of this graphic card is 900 and the value of memory units is 2004. I underclocked it 822 core value and 1900 memory unit. You can do it too and see if the games that crashed previously if work properly at this level. Do not try the games at extremely high graphic level. Try tem at level that can be described to be between medium settings and very high settings. If they work properly, increase the voltage slightly. Notice the framerates for their stability. If the framerates are not consistent, then again reduce the voltage. This helped me in bring the graphic card to work properly. You can try it with your graphic card too.

I agree to the fact that the working of graphic card is dependent on the architecture of PSU. A PSU with 3 rails giving 18 amps to the PCI-e connectors will e split across 2 rails when it is supplied to the graphic card. This use of 2 rails and power being supplied simultaneously through both rails increases the chances of creating the bottlenecks in power supply of the graphic card. To avoid this, one can use PSU with OCP (Over Current Protection) which has function to avoid such bottle necks. This problem results in bad power supply.

The amperage is important for working of the graphic card. Graphic card is one such peripheral that requires a large amount of power as compared to other peripherals. If the power supply is not proper than there are chances of voltage droop in the graphic card. So the PSU being used should be such that it provides a large wattage and has large rail units. I don’t think that the graphic card must be having any problem with the number of rails a PSU has. The problem lies with the capacity of power the rails can handle. Rails of the PSU are useful for maintaining the stability in the wattage that is being supplied to the graphic card. When a PC is started, graphic card kicks in suddenly. At this moment, there is spike created in the supply of wattage. Rail of the PSU must be able to handle this spike efficiently and stop the graphic card form being armed. This is the reason of having one big rail instead of multiple small rails in a PSU.

From reading the above comments I think that Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti is having a well known issue with SLI used to control multiple monitors. I too am facing problem of running monitors in SLI mode using this graphic card. I think my problem is bit weird than the rest. In my system, only on monitor works and that too gets UI locked after start up of Windows. When I have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti attached in my computer and I start the system, the launching logo of Windows 7 appears on the right monitor while the left monitor remains off. After the welcome screen goes, the left monitor starts displaying the main home screen of Windows 7 and right monitor doesn’t display anything at all. Everything works fine in the left screen, but it acts as it is the only monitor in the system. If I try to achieve the connection between two monitors via control panel, I succeed in it. But the whole operating system gets locked. I can’t use mouse, or keys like ctrl, alt, delete, caps lock and so on. The special keys available for opening My Computer and calculator work, but not other keys. After removing the graphic card and using the computer on single screen solves the problem. I still haven’t found any solution to this problem.

Has anybody experienced problems in this graphic card after updating its driver? I recently updated drivers for the graphic drivers in my computer and after that my mouse scroll slowed down. Even at the full mouse drag speed, the lag is noticeable. Also after the logo of Windows 7 appears during startup, I think the delay before the welcome screen appears has increased.